You are not logged in.

#651 2016-07-10 23:27:27

quequotion
Website

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Long time no see! After much difficulty, I was able to get the latest wingpanel-bzr and indicators working.

So I guess they have their own fork of gnome-settings-daemon(-ubuntu) now; not sure if their power indicator works without it.

What I'm really excited about though, is that their notifications-indicator is working!
pA5OyS8t.png

It grabs notifications from an existing notification dbus, like the one provided by notify-osd(-customizable).

EDIT: wingpanel-bzr is expectedly unstable. Tends to freeze (even the clock), blocking access to indicators (including slingshot); particularly after resume from hibernate and occasionally for no reason at all. Might do better if I were running gala, or might just freeze the whole gala desktop hmm

Last edited by quequotion (2016-07-15 17:02:06)

#652 2016-07-17 18:56:51

ferN

Finally made my pantheon work well. The only aspect I lack info off is how to make light-locker work? I switched to xscreensaver and it works, but I dont like the look of it. Also, would slimlock/i3lock work? I would preffer these over light-locker.

Last edited by ferN (2016-07-17 19:32:09)

#653 2016-07-19 11:00:59

esquiso

Has anyone having troubles building pantheon-files-bzr? It seems like rev 2223 introduced some changes, and now I'm not able to build the AUR package.

[ 53%] Generating Application.c;ConnectServerOperation.c;AbstractEditableLabel.c;SingleLineEditableLabel.c;MultiLineEditableLabel.c;main.c;marlin-deep-count.c;ProgressInfoWidget.c;ProgressUIHandler.c;TextRenderer.c;View/ColumnView.c;View/AbstractTreeView.c;View/IconView.c;View/ListView.c;ZeitgeistManager.c;View/DiskRenderer.c;View/DirectoryNotFound.c;View/AbstractDirectoryView.c;View/Window.c;View/ViewContainer.c;View/OverlayBar.c;View/PropertiesWindow.c;View/Browser.c;View/Sidebar.c;View/Slot.c;View/Miller.c;marlin-vala.h
gee-0.8.vapi:267.4-267.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
gee-0.8.vapi:662.4-662.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
gee-0.8.vapi:664.4-664.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
gee-0.8.vapi:672.4-672.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
gee-0.8.vapi:674.4-674.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
pantheon-files-core.vapi:101.4-101.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
libbamf3.vapi:9.4-9.13: warning: [Deprecated] is deprecated. Use [Version (deprecated = true, deprecated_since = "", replacement = "")]
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:25.33-25.56: error: The type name `AbstractPropertiesDialog' could not be found
public class PropertiesWindow : AbstractPropertiesDialog {
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:65.13-65.22: error: The type name `ValueLabel' could not be found
    private ValueLabel contains_value;
            ^^^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:66.13-66.22: error: The type name `ValueLabel' could not be found
    private ValueLabel resolution_value;
            ^^^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:67.13-67.22: error: The type name `ValueLabel' could not be found
    private ValueLabel size_value;
            ^^^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:68.13-68.22: error: The type name `ValueLabel' could not be found
    private ValueLabel type_value;
            ^^^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:69.13-69.20: error: The type name `KeyLabel' could not be found
    private KeyLabel contains_key_label;
            ^^^^^^^^
/home//.cache/pacaur/pantheon-files-bzr/src/pantheon-files/src/View/PropertiesWindow.vala:70.13-70.20: error: The type name `KeyLabel' could not be found
    private KeyLabel type_key_label;
            ^^^^^^^^
Compilation failed: 7 error(s), 7 warning(s)

Does anyone been able to solve this?

Also, Alucryd, have you given up on updating your repository?

#654 2016-07-19 21:15:21

quequotion
Website

esquiso wrote:

Has anyone having troubles building pantheon-files-bzr? It seems like rev 2223 introduced some changes, and now I'm not able to build the AUR package.

I test built each revision back to 2209, which appears to be the last version that builds (on Archlinux).

Revision 2210 is the first to introduce "Marlin.View.AbstractPropertiesDialog": neither it nor any revision after will compile for the same error. Something must be missing; the code appears to be there, but isn't getting recognition from the compiler... what could it be?

I filed a bug report; sounds like a superfluous dependency on Unity being installed (probably not on the actual libraries or code).

ps, you can build 2209 by changing this line in the PKGBUILD:

source=('bzr+lp:pantheon-files#revision=2209')

UPDATE: This was fixed.

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-04 18:35:17)

#655 2016-07-20 16:47:37

ferN

By the way, is there any way to get tiling WM working on pantheon? Seems like disabling gala is not an option (plank at the corner, no wallpaper) hmm

#656 2016-07-21 04:37:18

quequotion
Website

ferN wrote:

By the way, is there any way to get tiling WM working on pantheon? Seems like disabling gala is not an option (plank at the corner, no wallpaper) hmm

You mean replace gala with a tiling WM (plank looks like that because nothing is telling it where to be).

If there's a tiling WM that also allows for rendering docks and panels on the edges of the screen, maybe!

You'll need to make your own session files.

Last edited by quequotion (2016-11-12 17:39:38)

#657 2016-08-14 03:21:54

SolarAquarion

Pantheon for gnome 3.20?

#658 2016-09-10 07:57:13

Saverio
Website

Yesterday (9th of September), it has been released Elementary OS 0.4 with a lot of code restructuring and improvements on the Pantheon DE.
Do you think that now it's possible to linearly compile this version of Pantheon DE in Arch ?

Last edited by Saverio (2016-09-10 07:57:31)

#659 2016-09-10 20:13:22

fredbezies

I tried two days ago a bzr version in a VirtualBox machine. Top bar was crashing every 5 seconds...

#660 2016-09-11 17:03:21

quequotion
Website

fredbezies wrote:

I tried two days ago a bzr version in a VirtualBox machine. Top bar was crashing every 5 seconds...

What indicators, if any, do you have installed? Were you running it in a standard (gala) pantheon-session?

#661 2016-10-23 11:43:54

quequotion
Website

I'm doing a little experiment with some of the pantheon components, mostly aimed at removing their dependence on gala. My first target was wingpanel. I removed the background manager service and its gala plugin (which attempt to tap into the window-manager to focus or restore windows and select an appropriate transparency level for wingpanel).

Since they couldn't function without gala anyway, I wasn't surprised to see this leaves the panel transparent in pantheon-3d/lite. An unexpected result is that the panel loads much faster! The jury is out if this has improved stability, but in the case of using wingpanel without gala, it probably is better for it not to be looking for dependencies that don't exist.

UPDATE:
Another package I've pulled the gala out of is slingshot.

EDIT: Fixing fcitx (and retaining mousewheel scrolling over the icons) in slingshot won't be as easy as I thought, but maybe not that hard either.

UPDATE: IME input in slingshot-launcher is fixed.

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-04 18:32:47)

#662 2016-10-24 07:57:55

quequotion
Website

I forward-ported some of elementary's patches to epiphany 3.22.

epiphany_pantheon.png

It isn't a huge difference, but there are some nice tweaks: close buttons on the left of tabs, middle click closes tabs and fixed-width tabs; much cleaner menu; 24px icons and home button on toolbar, tooltip for stop/reload, and full-width url-bar.

I had to leave a few things out: wasn't able to succesfully port the toolbar bookmarks button (causing segfaults); double-click tab-bar to open a new tab was also causing segfaults; kept epiphany's display title/click to enter url behavior (elementary team wants just a plain url bar, but i think the original behavior looks better); also kept "Text Encoding" menu item and "Fonts & Style" preferences tab (might still be useful).

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-04 18:18:05)

#663 2016-11-19 06:41:45

ElectricPrism

Daniel Fore wrote:

AppIndicators are a totally optional dependency. We include that in elementary OS as a compatibility layer, but you don't need it for any of our indicators.

I'm seeing some mentions about Gala in that thread. They might want to try again since we've just recently landed support for the latest mutter due to the Fedora work.

Edit: Oops I'm guessing you edited this since I replied or I clicked on the wrong thing. Either way, glad to hear it's working out for you smile

We have Daniel Fore covering Myths about Elementary OS & there's a part on his article showcasing Manjaro. If anyone has any questions go over to reddit and ask /u/DanielFore - I might have been benhind the times in my inquery but if anyone wants to get in on this come on over.

Last edited by ElectricPrism (2016-11-19 06:50:33)

#664 2017-02-06 22:38:09

C6M6

Since those days i did some light testing of the pantheon shell (without the pantheon-default-settings), here the current situation (with many dev packages)

wingpanel and the indicators
- wingpanel don't change it's background regarding of the used theme (even with the elementary one don't work)
- switching month with the datetime indicator hang/kill wingpanel
- bluetooth indicator rely on an older version of bluez and don't work on arch
- to make the lock button work in the session indicator, the screensaver gsd plugin need to be disabled --> done by the pantheon-default-settings package

switchboard
- the locale plug rely on "language-tools" that are part of accountsservice in ubuntu/debian (patched back from older version i think), thus not available on arch
- bluetooth plug exactly like the indicator don't work (did't really try since i don't have a bluetooth adapter)
- mouse/touchpad plug need to be patched to work, or it will give hang for missing schema error
- power plug need elementary/pantheon-dpsm-helper, or it will give hang for missing schema error
- sharing plug need to be patched to work, or it will hang for missing schema error
- user accounts plug rely on "language-tools" too
- keyboard plug gives a warning about missing terminal schema keys
- parental control need a path fix to be installable on arch

i'm pretty much sure many of those problem are there even in the stable packages

- neither pantheon-session nor pantheon-polkit packages have the desktop file to autostart pantheon-polkit
- some packages have unlistened dependency, aka they compile, but gives error later...

ps: that apart all the packages that i tried compile fine (some with patches)

Last edited by C6M6 (2017-02-06 22:40:12)

#665 2017-03-04 18:15:40

quequotion
Website

Changes big and small!

pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite are effectively the same as ever: Pantheon desktop minus Gala with Compiz and Openbox+Compton in its place, respectively.

pantheon-workarounds (pantheon-session replacement for derivatives) now depends on wingpanel-standalone-bzr, which depends on slingshot-launcher-standalone-bzr. These have had {,lib}gala dependent functions patched out; they seem less sluggish and more stable. It also depends on gnome-settings-daemon-elementary.

Those six packages are in a group:

yaourt -Qs pantheon-qq
local/gnome-settings-daemon-elementary 3.22.1-1 (gnome unity pantheon-qq)
    GNOME Settings Daemon (with ElementaryOS patches)
local/pantheon-3d 3-1 (pantheon-qq)
    Pantheon 3d Session (replaces Gala with Compiz)
local/pantheon-lite 3-1 (pantheon-qq)
    Pantheon Lite Session (replaces Gala with Openbox & Compton)
local/pantheon-workarounds 5-1 (pantheon-qq)
    Workarounds for modular and minimal Pantheon Desktop Environments
local/slingshot-launcher-standalone-bzr r752-1 (pantheon-qq)
    The Pantheon Application Launcher (without Gala dependencies)
local/wingpanel-standalone-bzr r172-1 (pantheon-qq)
    The Pantheon Panel (without Gala dependencies)

I've reorganized pantheon-bzr-qq. All of the packages required for pantheon-{3d,lite} were moved to the main directory. The packages in EXTRA/ are all opt-depends and not necessarily Pantheon-related. A few dysfunctional packages have been detained in EXPERIMENTAL/.

::PS:: wingpanel-standalone-bzr features a patch that fixed--for me--focus stealing with wingpanel. The report also cites CPU hogging, which I have not encountered; has anyone? Anyway, wingpanel draws a full-screen transparent field on mouseover for some purpose, which does not reliably disappear when the mouse exits wingpanel--so I disabled that. I left on the same behavior when an indicator (slingshot, etc) is clicked, as the indicators are drawn off screen (above the panel) without it--probably they are meant to be drawn in relation to this full-screen box--in this case the box reliably dissapears with the indicators (for me).

Perhaps wingpanel doing that on mouseover is useful for Gala's eye candy?

Last edited by quequotion (2017-03-17 04:20:02)

#666 2017-04-08 20:47:31

MystKid

so how do we install pantheon now? the wiki is outdated

#667 2017-04-10 17:15:31

quequotion
Website

MystKid wrote:

so how do we install pantheon now? the wiki is outdated

I went over everything except the installation section today, which I have a proposal for.

I believe you can start with installing pantheon-session-bzr, plank-bzr, wingpanel-bzr, and slingshot-launcher-bzr.

There's also pantheon-bzr-meta which pulls what looks like the whole *-bzr set, but I can't guarantee all of those packages will build.

I am not confident in the stability or usability of the non-bzr package set.

#668 2017-04-11 00:18:29

MystKid

i tried building the pantheon-session-bzr, plank-bzr, wingpanel-bzr, and slingshot-launcher-bzr.    with yaourt but i did not succed

granite-bzr fails to build

Last edited by MystKid (2017-04-11 00:33:57)

#669 2017-04-11 03:50:14

quequotion
Website

MystKid wrote:

granite-bzr fails to build

That's odd; it builds for me.  Show us what kind of error(s) you're getting.

#670 2017-04-11 14:19:49

MystKid

>$ yaourt -S pantheon-session-bzr plank-bzr wingpanel-bzr slingshot-launcher-bzr
warning: slingshot-launcher-bzr-r756-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: wingpanel-bzr-1:r175-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: pantheon-session-bzr-r82-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) pantheon-session-bzr-r82-1  slingshot-launcher-bzr-r756-1
             wingpanel-bzr-1:r175-1

Total Installed Size:  1.15 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(3/3) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(3/3) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/3) reinstalling wingpanel-bzr                   [######################] 100%
(2/3) reinstalling slingshot-launcher-bzr          [######################] 100%
(3/3) reinstalling pantheon-session-bzr            [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(2/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/3) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

==> Downloading plank-bzr PKGBUILD from AUR...
x .SRCINFO
x MKPKG
x PKGBUILD
x plank.install
alucryd commented on 2013-11-26 08:37            
thiagowfx: I know about this workaround (since I applied it to plank in [community]), however I won't add it here. Not everybody uses plank with pantheon, people who do should add it themselves. Rather, gala should be updated to support latest gee instead of the old deprecated one. Feel free to nag gala devs about supporting latest gee. They've already taken the steps towards gnome 3.8/3.10 after all, it's only logical they should support latest gee as well.

thevoidnn commented on 2015-11-22 20:04            
error:
[ERROR 22:51:26.911103] [DockPreferences:34] GSettingsSchema 'net.launchpad.plank.dock.settings' not found

fix:
sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

dzuykhanh commented on 2015-12-09 04:14            
I have installed this dock but I dont know how to start and customize it.

Please help me.

Thanks.

Maxiride commented on 2016-07-06 13:22            
What's the difference with the main plank package in the community repo?

alucryd commented on 2016-07-06 16:23            
This one is built from the bzr head, obviously.

plank-bzr r1551-1  (2016-04-10 18:42)
( Unsupported package: Potentially dangerous ! )
==> plank-bzr dependencies:
- atk (already installed)
- bamf (already installed)
- cairo (already installed)
- gdk-pixbuf2 (already installed)
- glib2 (already installed)
- glibc (already installed)
- gtk3 (already installed)
- libgee (already installed)
- libwnck3 (already installed)
- libx11 (already installed)
- libxfixes (already installed)
- libxi (already installed)
- pango (already installed)
- bzr (already installed) [makedepend]
- gnome-common (already installed) [makedepend]
- intltool (already installed) [makedepend]
- vala (already installed) [makedepend]

==> plank-bzr conflicts:
- plank-0.11.4-1

==> Continue building plank-bzr ? [Y/n]
==> -----------------------------------
==>
==> Building and installing package
==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

==> ERROR: An unknown error has occurred. Exiting...
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build plank-bzr.
==> Restart building plank-bzr ? [y/N]
==> ----------------------------------

#671 2017-04-11 18:36:20

quequotion
Website

MystKid wrote:
==> plank-bzr conflicts:
 - plank-0.11.4-1

You have a version of plank installed already.

Either remove it before installing plank-bzr, or try:

yaourt -G plank-bzr
cd plank-bzr
makepkg
yaourt -U plank-bzr-(revision number, package release number).pkg.tar.xz

"yaourt/pacman -U package.pkg.tar.xz" will remove (after asking your permission) a conflicting package.

You already fixed the problem with granite-bzr?

#672 2017-04-11 18:46:25

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

MystKid: you have been warned about help vampirisim, you won't get another.

And read the Code and learn how to use code tags: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#673 2017-04-11 19:46:14

MystKid

I ended up setting up a VM as the process of building pantheon was getting too messy on my main system. ill paste the output of the command im issuing: [link]https://pastebin.com/ENGYgyek[/link]

#674 2017-04-12 13:43:28

quequotion
Website

MystKid wrote:

==> Continue building cerbere-bzr ? [Y/n]
==> -------------------------------------
==>
==> Building and installing package
==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

Your VM appears to have an incomplete installation of base-devel. You should read up on building archlinux packages in general. The problems you are having do not seem to be with the packages you are attempting to install, but the configuration of the system you are installing them on (conflicting package versions installed; missing binutils; still don't know what problem you had with granite-bzr, but it seems like you got around it).

Last edited by quequotion (2017-04-12 13:45:15)

#675 2017-05-20 21:24:32

eyome

Hi,

How close are we to have pantheon shell fully functional on Arch? Wiki seems outdated, so what is the best way to install it?
Thank you for your work

Board footer