You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-20 23:33:15

ownbit

"Could not start D-bus. Can you call qdbus?" After last KDE update.

After reading the notices about the newest kernel patch (Linux 4.8.3-1) I ran pacman -Syu
Besides the kernel, KDE for updated to 5.8.2 and virtual box Guest additions also were updated.

After reboot, when I type startx  the system shows me the message found in the title.

If I type qdbus it says "Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NotSupported: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time,  set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead."

If I try startkde it says "$DISPLAY not set or cannot connect to the X server."

So I did cat $DISPLAY and its really empty.

No clue what to do,  Googles it and found nothing very helpful for arch Linux,  and sorry for formatting, I'm on the smartphone.

#2 2016-10-21 00:52:48

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: "Could not start D-bus. Can you call qdbus?" After last KDE update.

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS has been a common problem lately. A search on the forums should turn up quite a bit of info.

#3 2016-10-21 13:33:43

ownbit

Scimmia wrote:

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS has been a common problem lately. A search on the forums should turn up quite a bit of info.

Sorry, but couldn't find anything that directly relates to my problem.
Most of the topics have something to do with freezes/crashes/malfunctioning rather than X not starting.

#4 2016-10-21 13:47:32

Scimmia
Fellow

Most common issues: Don't use dbus-launch anywhere and make sure nothing is screwing with that variable.

#5 2016-10-21 13:49:14

Lone_Wolf

please post your .xinitrc and xorg log file .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2016-10-21 20:45:31

ownbit

Hello people, I was eager to solve this problem and post the solution here so that other people could use it in case they needed, but seems like the problem is gone by itself.

Today I turned the computer on and the system messages at boot showed me an error. I restarted the computer and the error was gone.

Next thing I did was to type startx so that it could log the error for me to post here and KDE started normally. I even restarted the computer to see if it would have any problem but seems it's gone.

Any reason why it could be? I remember rebooting it several times yesterday and still I'd have the same error message poping on the screen.

That's strange.

[EDIT]:

This is driving me mad, just after posting this, I rebooted the computer and the problem came back.
I read in a similar thread (about ubuntu though) that re-installing qt5 would fix this.

I did pacman -S qt5 and proceeded so it reinstalled everything related to qt5, and after startx worked, but I'm not sure if it is going to last.

This is very strange, in the last 5 years I don't remember having to deal with such a creep bug with linux.

Last edited by ownbit (2016-10-21 21:06:39)

#7 2016-10-22 23:55:14

Dietr1ch

Are you also on kernel 4.8? I got this error on 2 Manjaro machines after moving to 4.8 from 4.7.

#8 2016-10-23 14:45:19

ownbit

Dietr1ch wrote:

Are you also on kernel 4.8? I got this error on 2 Manjaro machines after moving to 4.8 from 4.7.

Yes I am. In fact, I'm on 4.8.4 right now because after I made this post the kernel was update once more.

Try reinstalling Qt5 and dbus.

I read somewhere that installing Qt again would do it. Even though after reinstalling it I got the bug twice again, after the third reboot it is working normally. But maybe that's also because the kernel was updated so maybe doing both (updating Qt and Dbus && update kernel) will solve the problem.

Last edited by ownbit (2016-10-23 14:46:05)

#9 2016-10-24 03:06:02

Dietr1ch

ownbit wrote:
Dietr1ch wrote:

Yes I am. In fact, I'm on 4.8.4 right now because after I made this post the kernel was update once more.

Try reinstalling Qt5 and dbus.

I read somewhere that installing Qt again would do it. Even though after reinstalling it I got the bug twice again, after the third reboot it is working normally. But maybe that's also because the kernel was updated so maybe doing both (updating Qt and Dbus && update kernel) will solve the problem.

I'm using 4.4.27 to avoid the issue, I haven't tried to run 4.8 again.

Board footer