You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 18:29:59

titaniumbones

GNOME desktop search recommendations

I would like to have a sophisticated desktop search (one that searches the content and metadata of documents including text files, .odt/.docx files, emails, and hopefully images as well). My preference would be to have it integrated into the GNOME Activities Overview (Super key), so that with one keypresss I can initiate search for an application, a filename, or file contents.

Options I've tried before include tracker and recoll; in both cases, my attempts were long ago and I don't really know the current state of development.  I'd love to hear success stories from other users.

I don't actually use my desktop environment for much, so I'm also open to switching to another one if search is more convenient there and the overall experience isn't too slow. My main needs are a few keybindings for window manipulation, good suspend support, and easy display configuration when I plug into an external projector.

thanks very much!

#2 2016-10-24 21:03:32

titaniumbones

Re: GNOME desktop search recommendations

A quick partial answer -- I found this tracker search provider extension for gnome-shell:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ … -provider/

It doesn't work with GNOME 3.22 out of the box, but downloading the source code and changing the shell-version in metadata.json and copying the files to

.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/tracker-search-provider@sinnix.de

as suggested in the README seems to work.  it's not bad. I'm looking forward to integrating this into emacs now...

Would love to hear success stories with recoll, or comparisons of tracker & recoll if people havethem.

Board footer