You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-24 20:15:58

Scoopta

Need a kernel parameter for crypttab device?

I recently installed arch after being a long time Debian user and I've got everything setup but not my encrypted volumes. My root partition encryption is working fine. The device I'm trying to decrypt is a secondary drive. In /etc/crypttab:

Storage    /dev/sdb1   /etc/luks-keys/Storage  luks

and in /etc/fstab I have

/dev/Storage/Storage   /mnt/Storage    ext4    0 0

yet it always seems to get stuck trying to mount. Doing dmesg | grep crypt shows the following line:

[    8.638678] systemd-cryptsetup-generator[351]: Not creating device 'Storage' because it was not specified on the kernel command line.

Do I have to specify a kernel parameter too? If so what is it?

Last edited by Scoopta (2016-10-24 21:33:42)

#2 2016-10-24 21:31:28

ukhippo

Re: Need a kernel parameter for crypttab device?

Your post is extremely hard to read with all that dense text. File contents and program output are best placed inside code tags - as well as making it easier to read a post they also preserve formatting.

“/dev/Storage/Storage” doesn't look right to me - I would expect it to be “/dev/mapper/Storage”

#3 2016-10-24 21:34:30

Scoopta

ukhippo wrote:

Your post is extremely hard to read with all that dense text. File contents and program output are best placed inside code tags - as well as making it easier to read a post they also preserve formatting.

“/dev/Storage/Storage” doesn't look right to me - I would expect it to be “/dev/mapper/Storage”

I fixed the formatting. Also the mount is right as it's an LVM volume. When the device gets decrypted the crypt/LVM physical volume should be /dev/mapper/Storage with a logical volume as /dev/Storage/Storage

Last edited by Scoopta (2016-10-24 21:36:32)

#4 2016-10-24 22:28:24

ukhippo

Scoopta wrote:

Also the mount is right as it's an LVM volume. When the device gets decrypted the crypt/LVM physical volume should be /dev/mapper/Storage with a logical volume as /dev/Storage/Storage

That's vital detail that wasn't mentioned. However, the logical volumes will also be in /dev/mapper (as “/dev/mapper/<vgname>-<lvname>”). What does a simple ls of that directory give?

#5 2016-10-24 22:30:44

Scoopta

ukhippo wrote:
Scoopta wrote:

Also the mount is right as it's an LVM volume. When the device gets decrypted the crypt/LVM physical volume should be /dev/mapper/Storage with a logical volume as /dev/Storage/Storage

That's vital detail that wasn't mentioned. However, the logical volumes will also be in /dev/mapper (as “/dev/mapper/<vgname>-<lvname>”). What does a simple ls of that directory give?

Nothing...well not nothing. It gives me the stuff for my root partition but nothing for the drive I'm attempting to mount. I'm aware of LVM volumes showing up there. They also show in /dev/<vgname>/<lvname> and that's normally how I mount them. Regardless the issue is with decryption itself. The drive is never decrypted as revealed by dmesg.

Last edited by Scoopta (2016-10-24 22:31:28)

#6 2016-10-24 22:35:38

frostschutz

You have to be a bit careful with /dev/mapper/ namespace, if your LUKS device is named storage and the LVM is named storage also it could cause problems, since you can't have two of the same name in /dev/mapper. Thus I prefix all of my LUKS devices with "luks".

Which mkinitcpio hooks are you using? the sd-encrypt hook expectes kernel parameters (mkinitcpio -H sd-encrypt) or alternatively uses a crypttab.initramfs file (but not crypttab).

#7 2016-10-24 23:16:46

Scoopta

frostschutz wrote:

You have to be a bit careful with /dev/mapper/ namespace, if your LUKS device is named storage and the LVM is named storage also it could cause problems, since you can't have two of the same name in /dev/mapper. Thus I prefix all of my LUKS devices with "luks".

Which mkinitcpio hooks are you using? the sd-encrypt hook expectes kernel parameters (mkinitcpio -H sd-encrypt) or alternatively uses a crypttab.initramfs file (but not crypttab).

Then that would be my problem. I am using sd-encrypt. You mentioned a crypttab.initramfs file. How would I go about using that. Although I do find it odd because dmesg shows the file is definitely being read.

Last edited by Scoopta (2016-10-24 23:21:32)

#8 2016-12-13 15:36:47

darkbasic

crypttab.initramfs does not solve the problem:

[    0.887494] systemd-cryptsetup-generator[68]: Not creating device 'cryptswap' because it was not specified on the kernel command line.
[    6.461355] systemd-cryptsetup-generator[243]: Not creating device 'cryptswap' because it was not specified on the kernel command line.
[    6.625274] systemd-cryptsetup-generator[269]: Not creating device 'cryptswap' because it was not specified on the kernel command line.

This is clearly a systemd bug. Am we the only ones using sd-encrypt?

#9 2016-12-13 15:46:31

darkbasic

Board footer