You are not logged in.

#5601 2016-10-21 06:03:34

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

I have seen in other forums, i.e. reddit/r/archlinux - negative comments about this forum.

There's a simple reason to that: if you're banned from BBS because you didn't respect our code of conduct, where do you go? Reddit ...

Last edited by Alad (2016-10-21 06:03:51)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5602 2016-10-21 06:24:32

Texbrew

Alad wrote:

I have seen in other forums, i.e. reddit/r/archlinux - negative comments about this forum.

There's a simple reason to that: if you're banned from BBS because you didn't respect our code of conduct, where do you go? Reddit ...

Good point. I see far and away more good things said about Arch on that forum, by the way.

#5603 2016-10-21 07:23:59

Awebb

Texbrew wrote:

... which is funny, because I won't touch /r/archlinux with a pitchfork, because I didn't find it very friendly. I think I know why: The subreddit tolerates what we call help vampires, but it also tolerates a relatively rude tone. It's the perfect place for people, who seem to have trouble here.

#5604 2016-10-21 13:48:34

Texbrew

For the record, this is my favorite forum.

tex

#5605 2016-10-23 20:56:26

juankvillegas

Hello everyone... a new Archer here, from Colombia. (Are we Archers, right? or how do the community refers to Arch Linux users?)

I've been using Linux for more than 10 years now, with some interruptions. In the last years I had been using Linux Mint and the past week I was very curious about this Archer distro that everybody talk about.

I spent almost the whole Thursday reading about Arch Linux but I was a little bit nervous about it, because I have a PC without dual boot, only Linux, and it is my main production machine for work and anything else. It was working very good and I didn't want to try Arch, fail, and have to install Linux Mint again from scratch. So even when on Thursday night I already had the USB installer ready I decided to do not try it. But... that's not me. Once I want something I need it... lol. So on Friday morning I came to my PC, created some backups and started the installation.

OMG! I have been using Linux for more than 10 years and I don't understand a lot of things about it. Every single step in the installation process was a pain. Only in the 3rd try I was able to boot to my new installation. I followed 3 sources to achieve it: Arch Linux Installation guide, a YouTube video series and a website HowTo, jumping from one to the other to be sure what I was going to do.

Once installed and with a Desktop Environment running (XFCE), I checked some videos to make it look nice. This video was specially helpful, it helped me not only to find some good themes and icons, but some useful software too.

Well, now I'm here using Arch Linux and I'm really happy to have decided to install it.

#5606 2016-10-24 04:17:44

Texbrew

Hi Juan, I like the term "Archer". Sounds good to me.

I admire your courage to just go ahead and install Arch to your hard drive, and I understand your nervousness about it.

I took a different path installing Arch for the first time about two years ago. I installed Arch in VirtualBox, running on Debian 7 "Wheezy". However, I think running a virtual machine requires substantial RAM and at least 20 gigs extra drive space. This is just my opinion, of course. I seen improved performance where I have 3 gigs or more of RAM, shared between the "host" machine and the "guest" (virtual machine). You can get by with less memory and less drive space, but more is better.

Like you, my first try installing Arch suffered from my mistakes. I think I got it right the second time, more or less. The xfce desktop seemed to work pretty well, too in that VirtualBox install. That success led to my first full install on an old low spec PC with 1 gig RAM and 40 gig hard drive. This time, I chose the Openbox Desktop, very light weight. I was surprised at how well Arch performed - and still does - on that old machine. Since then, I have installed Arch on two used laptops and two thumb drives. You see, my interest in linux has grown into a kind of crazy hobby.

Sometimes, updates to the Arch system do cause hiccups. So if you use your PC for work  this may cause you problems. Because linux has become my "crazy hobby", I'm never without a working linux machine if an update/upgrade goes wrong. You may not have that option. From your post it sounds like you have a single PC.

You can install Arch to dual boot with another linux like Mint (the OS you mentioned).

Another option you might consider if you have space in your PC for it and a few dollars to spare: a second hard drive. Install the linux you are most familiar with on one drive, Arch on the other. The old PC I mentioned earlier has Arch on the first hard drive, Debian on the second drive.

Welcome to the Arch Linux Forum. As it was said in earlier posts, I'm not the official greeter, just another enthusiastic "Archer". I hope you continue to enjoy being an Archer.

tex

Edit: Removed unnecessary caution.

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-10-24 20:17:48)

#5607 2016-10-24 04:23:07

surficial

Hi all. Newbie here. I used to build my own PCs and run FreeBSD back in (gasp!) the 90s. I got heavily involved with running BSD on laptops. But I moved to OS X in the late '90s and I let Apple take care of my laptop, I had my terminal prompt and I was happy.
But a year ago I decided to buck Apple's hegemony. I bought a SurfaceBook and switched to Win 10. For work I do a lot of script programming (R, shell, perl, etc.) in a unix environment, so I've been struggling with Cygwin and finally decided to install a real unix system.
I looked into docker, which is very cool, but I need a stateful system.
And I installed Arch in Hyper-V, but it has no easy volume sharing between host and guest.
So now I'm installing Arch on VirtualBox and crossing my fingers.

#5608 2016-10-24 05:02:46

Texbrew

I think you're gonna like Arch in Virtualbox, but I have no experience with Win 10. Late last year, I bought a used Thinkpad  which had Win 10 installed, but after a few days, I replaced it with a linux install (Arch, I think).

I'm not sure about volume sharing with VirtualBox, though. I don't think it's meant to work that way., but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by volume sharing. This may seem convoluted, but I have used filezilla to send/receive files between host and guest.

I would be interested to know if you figure out a way to directly access the host hard drive from your guest machine.

Oh yes, I just realized that topic would likely be better suited to a separate  thread.

#5609 2016-10-24 11:46:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Texbrew wrote:

I don't want to step on your toes, but using other guides and videos is not encouraged by the forum admins and moderators. It isn't my place to say that, but I felt you should know.

This is true - but if he followed the official install guide as he indicates, but also took in some additional information from other sources, that is a good way to go.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5610 2016-10-24 11:58:33

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

OMG! I have been using Linux for more than 10 years and I don't understand a lot of things about it. Every single step in the installation process was a pain.

Not sure there's more to this than hyperbole since you haven't mentioned anything specific... if there is, patches welcome.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5611 2016-10-24 12:01:31

basica

juankvillegas wrote:

Hello everyone... a new Archer here, from Colombia. (Are we Archers, right? or how do the community refers to Arch Linux users?)

I've been using Linux for more than 10 years now, with some interruptions. In the last years I had been using Linux Mint and the past week I was very curious about this Archer distro that everybody talk about.

I spent almost the whole Thursday reading about Arch Linux but I was a little bit nervous about it, because I have a PC without dual boot, only Linux, and it is my main production machine for work and anything else. It was working very good and I didn't want to try Arch, fail, and have to install Linux Mint again from scratch. So even when on Thursday night I already had the USB installer ready I decided to do not try it. But... that's not me. Once I want something I need it... lol. So on Friday morning I came to my PC, created some backups and started the installation.

OMG! I have been using Linux for more than 10 years and I don't understand a lot of things about it. Every single step in the installation process was a pain. Only in the 3rd try I was able to boot to my new installation. I followed 3 sources to achieve it: Arch Linux Installation guide, a YouTube video series and a website HowTo, jumping from one to the other to be sure what I was going to do.

Once installed and with a Desktop Environment running (XFCE), I checked some videos to make it look nice. This video was specially helpful, it helped me not only to find some good themes and icons, but some useful software too.

Well, now I'm here using Arch Linux and I'm really happy to have decided to install it.

Welcome juankvillegas, glad you got the system up and running. Like yourself I had been using Linux for a very long time before coming to Arch, but didn't have too much of a clue. I had a bit of terminal experience since when I first started using Linux a lot of installers were terminal based and editing config files still relied on the terminal than GUIs but the Arch install was intimidating nevertheless. I got around my fear by installing it in a VM a few times and setting up my desktop the way I'd want it. After that installing it on my PC was a cinch. Since then I've gone ahead and installed it on my web servers, media server at home and my desktop. I'm also a fan of XFCE, I recommend the arc theme on the AUR if you haven't checked it out yet already.

surficial wrote:

So now I'm installing Arch on VirtualBox and crossing my fingers.

I did the same back in the day smile As the saying goes, if at first you don't succeed..

Anyways, welcome to the forums smile

#5612 2016-10-24 12:03:44

basica

Texbrew wrote:

I have seen in other forums, i.e. reddit/r/archlinux - negative comments about this forum. If I can help to as you said, dispel that image, I'm glad to do it.

People on the forums here can be a bit laconic (and perhaps even abrupt) at times I'd agree, but I've rarely seen people who are outright rude. Compare that with the subreddit or IRC where I regularly see people say things like "You're probably better of using another distro" to pretty much any issue posted. Hell, I posted about an SSH issue about 2 years back on IRC trying to desperately solve the problem and the first reply after my post describing the problem and my troubleshooting steps was "Yeah it doesn't sound like you've got the technical skills to operate Arch. I recommend using something like Ubuntu". It enraged me so much I still think about it now smile The forums in comparison throw you a welcoming parade. Also, generally speaking, the more research you put into a post the better a response you're likely to receive here. I honestly commend the moderators who put the time and effort into helping the new users post some meaningful information to help others help them troubleshoot. Sometimes when I read the new threads I feel incredibly burdened tongue

Anyways, I also commend you for wanting to change the perception here. As they say, be the change you want to see in the world!

Alad wrote:

OMG! I have been using Linux for more than 10 years and I don't understand a lot of things about it. Every single step in the installation process was a pain.

Not sure there's more to this than hyperbole since you haven't mentioned anything specific... if there is, patches welcome.

I think he meant it was a pain since he doesn't understand a lot of things and thus it wasn't as smooth as he was hoping, rather than him complaining about issues with the arch ISO itself. Of course, I'll let him speak for himself to correct me if I'm wrong here.

EDIT: Just noticed this reply, so edited in here rather than spamming this thread again.

Last edited by basica (2016-10-24 12:33:21)

#5613 2016-10-24 13:12:39

juankvillegas

Texbrew wrote:

Sometimes, updates to the Arch system do cause hiccups. So if you use your PC for work  this may cause you problems. Because linux has become my "crazy hobby", I'm never without a working linux machine if an update/upgrade goes wrong. You may not have that option. From your post it sounds like you have a single PC.

Thank you for the advice.

Actually I have a MacBook Pro totally configured for work. It is what I use when I have to leave the home/office (I work from my home). Having it helps me to take this kind of "risks".

About the upgrades. Yes, this weekend there was available an update for Linux Kernel, the No. 1 package in my personal list of "PC missconfigurators" lol. At the same time, I was "playing" with Grub and the boot loader disappeared. So I decided to format the /boot partition again and use the systemctl boot loader (by the way, I think is easier to set up than grub), but as I had formatted the boot partition I was forced to update the Linux package. I was more nervous for the Linux upgrade than for the boot modification. Finally everything worked like a charm.

basica wrote:
Alad wrote:
juankvillegas wrote:

I think he meant it was a pain since he doesn't understand a lot of things and thus it wasn't as smooth as he was hoping, rather than him complaining about issues with the arch ISO itself. Of course, I'll let him speak for himself to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Exactly, I've a lot of experience using Linux console for server administration, you know, restart a service, fix permissions issue, search a file, read the system logs, git fetch/pull/commit/push, normal stuff you do in a working environment. But format a disk without Gparted? I had never done it. In 10 years using Linux I had never mounted a disk from the terminal. And I'm more than happy to have learned it.

#5614 2016-10-24 13:20:55

Steef435
Website

juankvillegas wrote:

But format a disk without Gparted? I had never done it.

Haha, same here. In fact I used GParted from a Live CD to partition the first time I installed Arch because I was so accustomed to it. A while ago I used parted for a different installation and I found it actually a lot nicer to use.

Welcome!

#5615 2016-10-24 14:49:52

juankvillegas

basica wrote:

I'm also a fan of XFCE, I recommend the arc theme on the AUR if you haven't checked it out yet already.

Thank you for the suggestion of arc theme. I'm using it now with Numix Circle icons.

XFCE rocks. I've been using it for like 5 years. Even when my PC is very fast I keep using it.

#5616 2016-10-24 16:58:58

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

juankvillegas wrote:
basica wrote:

Exactly, I've a lot of experience using Linux console for server administration, you know, restart a service, fix permissions issue, search a file, read the system logs, git fetch/pull/commit/push, normal stuff you do in a working environment. But format a disk without Gparted? I had never done it. In 10 years using Linux I had never mounted a disk from the terminal. And I'm more than happy to have learned it.

Oh, my bad then. I guess it's like thinking you know something about entertainment until you visit tvtropes.org.

#5617 2016-10-24 20:12:36

Texbrew

Trilby wrote:

This is true - but if he followed the official install guide as he indicates, but also took in some additional information from other sources, that is a good way to go.

Agreed. In fact, my first round or two of Arch installs included the now merged Beginner's Guide and help from other sources - videos and one other guide. If I saw any thing which conflicted with the Beginner's Guide, I took the Beginner's Guide as the authority. I will edit my post to remove my caution.

Thanks!

tex

#5618 2016-10-25 17:21:50

GSiervi

Hello bros!

I just started on linux (after a succession of problems with Windows 10 during the last month) and, contrary to what most said, chose Arch as my first distro!
Two weeks on it now - two reinstalls, a lot of reading and there still are some stuff to fix around here.. Nevertheless, I'm so glad with the accomplished results under this distro I'd like to thank you all for answering my questions even before I had to post them here! heheh
\,,/   This forum is great!   \,,/

See ya!

Last edited by GSiervi (2016-10-25 17:25:22)

#5619 2016-10-25 22:13:42

thcloak

Hello everyone, just spent a sizable amount of sleep hours to get this thing running and configured properly, and came around to claim my rightful bit of painless info. So, I thought I should introduce myself properly for once, before rushing to the support section (which I have no delusion of avoiding; i mean, that's how things went in my book, back in the happy days of distrohopping).
Now, what begot my return to linux was my decision to change subject in college and pursue software engineering. Thus I can now indulge myself in coding, tinkering, and generally being a nerd, without feeling guilty about it. I felt a bit weary, really. I had forgotten the satisfaction this thing gives  after 3 years of being generally AFK.
Well, after a short and unfortunate attempt to go for the newly released- read premature-  Solus OS (since I had found its debian-based predecessor to be a Shire-like place in Linuxland), I came to terms with the fact that I had inwardly already decided to march to Mor-- eh, install Arch. So, here I am.
It was less painful than last time, and I actually managed to soften the rough edges by myself, without doing anything stupid.  I even discovered that the console is not such a bad place, after all. There are brave people out there that make it so (O cmus, o pure contradiction, to be one's music player under so many megabytes; ...sorry -_-).
Now, my regards to the community and developers for all the great work. I hope I quickly come to make a meaningful contribution.
And at last, to the painless info mentioned earlier: why is it that redshift wouldn't start when called in /etc/.../xinitrc but would work as expected when called in ~/.xinitrc (identical copies except the name; i3 is called without problem from the former)?

EDIT: Just saw that most topics are untouched since yesterday and felt sad and betrayed. It took my brain almost half a minute to register that I am about two hours beyond midnight. Probably lack of sleep. Goodnight.

Last edited by thcloak (2016-10-25 22:36:04)

#5620 2016-10-26 14:37:43

Faucheuse

Hello there,
I'm a newbie to Arch and an almost newbie to linux (I tried it a long time ago). I stayed on Windows for so long because of the games.
But now I've got a laptop given by my company to work (front end) and I finally fullfill this Linux desire by installing Arch on it (on a VirtualBox actually, freeacking proprietary boot ><)

Anyway, hello \o

#5621 2016-10-26 17:21:00

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

thcloak wrote:

And at last, to the painless info mentioned earlier: why is it that redshift wouldn't start when called in /etc/.../xinitrc but would work as expected when called in ~/.xinitrc (identical copies except the name; i3 is called without problem from the former)?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. My GUESS is that it has to do with order of initialization or something. You're welcome to start a new thread asking about it, and if you do, please post the contents of those two "xinitrc" files.

...BUT... Why are you putting i3 and RedShift commands in the global "xinitrc" files? Those are commands that an individual user would choose to use, not something that would be global... Do you even have more than one user account on your computer?

#5622 2016-10-26 18:18:35

thcloak

...BUT... Why are you putting i3 and RedShift commands in the global "xinitrc" files?

I'm the sole user, and I can always start another wm by startx {name of wm). Redshift is a must in every case.
And actually, that's something I have done before and I didn't feel too eager to stray from tested methods when setting up arch, just for the sake of good practice.

EDIT:Actually I'm familiar with the profile file. I just wanted redshift globally. Will study my options next time.

Last edited by thcloak (2016-10-26 18:33:48)

#5623 2016-10-26 19:55:04

juankvillegas

thcloak wrote:

Redshift is a must in every case.

I didn't know what RedShift was. Now I'm seeing that it is like f.lux for Mac, very interesting. I have it installed now.

#5624 2016-10-29 10:34:17

mczon

Hello all,

Was going to sneak of to support forum first but started reading this thread and mostly wanted to say hi.... hello! smile
Just got a new server for really starting to try Linux at home for once, use it at work but only win10 at home... so time to take a plunge. Picked arch linux after reading your wiki and forums a bit because I like the DIY part of it and see it as a good way to learn how things realy work when you aren't just handed everything on a silver platter.
And reading the posts here it seems like a really nice place to start of on the path of Linux, the path of the Arch.

Write you later / mczon

#5625 2016-11-01 04:23:35

rs13885

Hi all!
I started using Arch a couple of months ago, and really liked how you have total control over what you do to your system. I was wondering which distro to use for leaving Windows behind, but never really liked those that are automatically installed with just 5 clicks. I read a review saying that if you really wanted to learn Linux, you should spend your weekend getting Arch linux up and running, and it's what I did. I never used the console so much until today. Luckily I got some issues with a couple of updates (dbus) which made me spend some time researching and trying to fix eveything in order to have the system accessible again, but the sensation you get when you finally make it work is priceless.

I'll be seeing you around here!

Board footer