You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-26 03:33:49

chintansandesara

Windows 10 Dual boot w/ Arch Linux w/ Bitlocker Encryption (TPM & PIN)

Hello,

I am not an experienced Linux user, however, I have dabbled on and off in Ubuntu for the past 3-4 years. I am now ready to move onto advanced levels of knowing Linux and I am convinced that installing Arch Linux from scratch is the way to learn a lot about Linux.

On that note, I currently have a clean installation of 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (free upgrade from Windows 7 --> Windows 8.1 --> Windows 10) running on a 8-year old Thinkpad T400 (Intel Core2 Duo 2.8 Ghz, 8GB Ram, 256MB ATI Graphics, 500GB SSD) with three drives, i.e. C:, E: and F:. All three drives are fully encrypted using Windows 10 built in Bitlocker encryption with TPM v1.2 and PIN enabled.

Reminder: My PC does not support UEFI as my laptop precedes that technology. So my laptop runs on BIOS.

I am trying to find out how to add Arch Linux to my laptop (dual boot) without un-encrypting my Windows 10 drives and also have encryption enabled in Archlinux? A step-by-step guide would be much appreciated as I am a newbie to this.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Chintan.

#2 2016-10-26 03:50:32

basica

Re: Windows 10 Dual boot w/ Arch Linux w/ Bitlocker Encryption (TPM & PIN)

The Arch community doesn't really hand-hold its users through things. You'll be expected to do the research the issue yourself, and then ask specific questions. Your best bet is to read the wiki. A good starting point is here.

I understand that you're new and you want to learn, so I'll help you break it down. You essentially want to do these things.

* Resize your partitions (I'm assuming you've got Windows taking up the entire disk so you'll need to do this first)
* Dual boot with Windows 10 and Arch Linux
* Encrypt your Arch Linux installation

At each stage do some research on how you would accomplish the task, and if you run into any issues or are having issues finding the right information you can post here detailing what you're trying to do, what you've done and what specifically you need help with right now.

Last edited by basica (2016-10-26 03:52:31)

#3 2016-10-26 04:11:32

chintansandesara

Thanks for that information. I am comfortable with partitioning the drives and installing Arch and encrypting the Arch drives later.

I just wanted to find out if there is a special procedure to follow since my windows 10 drives are encrypted? Do I have to decrypt them before installing Arch?

Regards,
Chintan.

#4 2016-10-26 04:16:13

basica

chintansandesara wrote:

Thanks for that information. I am comfortable with partitioning the drives and installing Arch and encrypting the Arch drives later.

I just wanted to find out if there is a special procedure to follow since my windows 10 drives are encrypted? Do I have to decrypt them before installing Arch?

Regards,
Chintan.

Yes, you'll need to decrypt them before making modifications to the partitions.

#5 2016-10-26 04:24:27

chintansandesara

Great that's what I wanted to know. Thanks a lot.

Board footer