You are not logged in.

#26 2016-10-27 17:48:01

shefeek

Re: [Solved] High CPU usage and fan speed during flash playback and Dota 2

And V1del my problem is not heating up and fan spinning up, but the immense fps drop that makes the game unplayable

#27 2016-10-27 17:49:13

shefeek

Hi Seth I tried Sauerbraten and after a few minutes of gaming there was a connsiderable fps drop, it dropped to around 13-17 fps

#28 2016-10-27 21:46:36

mx_joao

I read XFCE has some issues with game performance due to their compositor (it is cpu intensive). Try disabling compositing.

#29 2016-10-29 03:11:26

shefeek

Hi mx_jao
I tried most of the DEs but I had the same problem

#30 2016-10-29 04:57:11

shefeek

Hi y'all guys thank you
I dismantled my machine today and did a bit of cleaning and as Bryan suggested there was a carpet of dust and it seems my thermal paste has solidified and has to replace it with a new layer. So guys I think that might be it and thanks again.

Any suggestions on thermal paste and its usage and yeah how to remove the solid layer of thermal paste.

After cleaning my temps dropped while playing hd flash in youtube.

shefeek@archaos ~]$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +56.0°C  (crit = +93.0°C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +77.5°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +49.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
Core 2:       +46.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)

[shefeek@archaos ~]$ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +55.0°C  (crit = +93.0°C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +76.0°C  (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +49.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)
Core 2:       +46.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +90.0°C)

#31 2016-10-29 05:02:47

shefeek

Should I mark it solved???

#32 2016-10-29 07:37:21

shefeek

Errr problem again my lappy shuts down while Dota 2 gaming, I think temperature is fine

#33 2016-11-03 02:28:26

bryan.paradis

shefeek wrote:

Errr problem again my lappy shuts down while Dota 2 gaming, I think temperature is fine

You may have a hardware problem, your power supply brick could be bad and not giving the laptop enough juice during gaming.

Some good thermal paste would be arctic silver or mx-2. Anything decent should do.

Remove the thermal paste with some paper towel and some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol while being careful not to put too much pressure on any small components attached to the CPU die.

#34 2016-11-03 11:34:38

JohnBobSmith

As mentioned, flash is, well flash. And full of issues. Your dota 2 on the other hand, is something we can totally troubleshoot because I have just over 500 hours in the game, most of which being Linux hours.

First things first: Do not play using laptop battery. I keep my battery unpluged and play off the power brick only. Next, do you have the Reborn Beta "DLC" installed? In my opinion, this is required for performance, and everything is so much nicer with it installed. Source 2 engine is coming along quite nicely. In the DLC checkbox for Dota 2 inside of steam, make sure that the Reborn beta is checked. Do not check vulkan support though! This is highly irrelevant in every way and highly experimental, which will cause issues. Next, disable the steamoverlay. This resource hogging monster is known to cause issues with my Dota 2, and issues in general. Force it off both in global settings and on a per-game basis. Finally, and this is the most important step: Ensure you have all of the obscure (and AUR!) dependencies as per the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … ing#Dota_2. I have libudev.so.0 to satisfy the dependency. I chose it for no particular reason, though the reason at the time of install was probably because this was the package that worked. YMMV. Also double check the dependencies of the Dota 2 executable itself with ldd or similar. See its man page for details. Finally, the single best way to reduce heat and resource consumption is to play on garbage-low video settings. I do this for myself to ensure the maximum amount of frames. That video quality slider? Set that to 40%, less it become too un-readable. Screen resolution? Lower is better, but I can only tolerate up to 1280x720 on my laptop. All those fancy effects, lighting, portraits, shadows, what have you? Set those to off. Sound quality? Set that to low. Its not like you need to hear footsteps in Dota like you do in Counter-Strike. Sniper's ultimate will still be really loud so you can still blink away from it. Anything to reduce resource consumption in the game must be done, to the point where you feel comfortable or gain FPS improvements, Note that I am very much against config files as these can only serve to break things unnecessarily and make troubleshooting far harder that it needs to be. Do not use any form of autoexec.cfg, less the only obvious use being keybinds.

When all of this is done, and you are still having issues, we can then more concretely begin to blame your hardware. Assuming you re-applied thermal compound/paste which is high quality, that your fans are dust free, and the airflow is not blocked from playing on a bed or something, this begins to be the only answer. At which point, we can start talking drivers. smile

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-11-03 11:38:07)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#35 2016-11-03 13:52:27

shefeek

@ JohnBobSmith : Thanks dude

#36 2016-11-03 14:08:44

JohnBobSmith

No problem. Is your issue solved then? If so, please remember to mark your thread as solved. smile If not, we can continue troubleshooting.

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#37 2016-11-03 17:05:56

shefeek

Finally I ran Dota 2 smoothly but had to unplug my battery and run it on direct AC. But why could be the problem with the battery on?
Maybe not much juice in it as John pointed out.
Thanks every one.

Feels great to be an Arch-er

#38 2016-11-03 23:32:47

JohnBobSmith

The simplest of answers is power saving. This could mean a number of things from clocking down the CPU/GPU to slower HDD speed to reduced brightness and even some software changes. The idea is to reduce system performance, thereby saving energy. This is good and required when you want to extend work time on a battery. But when gaming, power saving on laptops is a massive annoyance.

#39 2016-11-04 07:50:35

seth

If you can run directly on AC but the system turns off under extreme load when on AC but with the battery between, the battery can no longer generate sufficient power - likely due to insufficient voltage.
If you have the equipment, you should measure the HW but it's most likely time for a replacement battery.

#40 2016-11-05 19:43:24

bryan.paradis

The laptop should not be under any circumstance be drawing from the battery to power the notebook while on AC. This would make for extreme battery wear. The laptop is not going to use the battery for anything if AC is plugged in. The only thing that could be happening is the laptop is attempting to charge the battery (which is not 100% charged) at the same time as the laptop is asking for very demanding power from the AC power supply. Even then it should be designed properly that the system is giving the power prioritized over the battery. Maybe a poor design combined with an underperforming powersupply could cause this.

Are you using the genuine asus power supply that came with your laptop? Do you have a second power supply to test?

When you were having problems was your battery currently charging?

You could try testing also testing the following:

1) Playing Dota with AC plugged in with a battery that is fully charged
2) Playing Dota with AC plugged in with a battery that is charging

Playing on battery without AC plugged in is an entirely different story and there could be powersaving that causes a performance loss but there still shouldn't be something like a poweroff/restart

#41 2016-11-06 04:03:40

mx_joao

Alienware 15 (my machine) has a well-known problem with its default 180W power adapter. It is not enough when you have the GTX 980m video card, which is my case. When the game demands both max clock on the processor AND video card, it will run out of power and underclock the i7 to 800 MHz, causing massive fps drop (10-20 fps, the game normally runs 100+). This is very sad. Dell should ship the 240 W AC adapter with this model.

Board footer