You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-25 03:10:38

NoD
Website

3 problems (java,firefox,clock) - Arch64

Hello,
first of all,i pacmaned j2re,then i went on konqueror settings>Configure Konqueror>Java & Javascript and gave the path to binary,but i still can't open java applets.
Secondly,i have access to internet with Konqueror but firefox 1.5.0.3 cant open any page.Any help ?
And last but not least on every reboot time is wrong!I fix it all the time.I have only arch on pc.
Using Arch64.Thank you. smile

#2 2006-05-25 17:56:28

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: 3 problems (java,firefox,clock) - Arch64

There's no Java browser plugin available for Arch64. Sun doesn't ship it.

I have no problems running FF here. Do you use a proxy?

I cannot check this as I have added "/usr/bin/ntpdate tick.fh-augsburg.de" to my /etc/rc.local so it will be updated everytime i boot. and i have a ntp server running here.

#3 2006-05-25 18:51:53

NoD
Website

AndyRTR wrote:

There's no Java browser plugin available for Arch64. Sun doesn't ship it.

So,you telling me that there isn't a way to have java plugin enabled ?
I didn't find anything on wiki.

AndyRTR wrote:

I have no problems running FF here. Do you use a proxy?

No.

#4 2006-05-25 19:45:11

NoD
Website

It's very weird.
If i left click on konqueror and choose "Open with Mozilla Firefox" it opens,but if i give url directly it can't open anything.:/

#5 2006-05-25 22:28:32

colnago

There is something on the wiki about the java plugin, along with the windows codecs.   It is under the "What will I miss in Arch64?" part of the FAQ.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_FAQ

Firefox is working for me. 

I have ntp installed, but i don't run it as a daemon.  Every once in a while I do an ntpdate by hand and it is typically 30s out.  The watch battery on the motherboard is the first place i would look if you have your computer off a lot.  If you leave it on, I think that there is a correction that ntpd can use to have your clock run faster or slower.  Have a look at the regular wiki.

Cheers.

#6 2006-06-05 12:54:16

Grizzly`

It is right that sun doesn't provide the java browser plugin for 64bit as a binary.
It should be possible, however, to build it from the jdk sources sun provides.
Other 64bit Distros do this already.

I've tried to do that this weekend, and I spent many hours at it, unfortunatelly so far without success. Building always fails at some really trivial piece of code, that I _think_ I understand, but gcc doesn't...
I will restart my efforts next weekend, since I can't spend much time during the week.
As far as I can make out the part where the build fails is not related to the plugin itself. Maybe I can make out a way to build only the plugin, and make it use the vm already present on the system.

Also, I'm a rather meagre programmer, maybe somebody of deeper knowledge could also look into that.

Otherwise I might try if using the plugin binary from one of the other 64bit distros work...

We'll see next WE,
Christian

#7 2006-06-05 16:41:26

iBertus

You could always look and see if frugle has a PKGBUILD for their x86_64 port and try to make it work with Arch64. It may be the only other Arch-like distro out there that has a 64-bit port.

Board footer