You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-06 19:03:13

luken

[SOLVED] Paradox games stopped working after some recent update

This is mentioned also here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/394360/d … 668/?ctp=1

I have identical symptoms, games start, music plays, processes are running, but game do not appear on the screen.

Games I own and I tested: HoI4 and Stellaris

I started HoI4 directly, without the Steam from the terminal, and effect is the same. No errors/warnings/any information in the terminal, music plays.

Any ideas how to diagnose and fix this? hmm

Last edited by luken (2016-11-07 10:22:04)

#2 2016-11-06 19:49:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Paradox games stopped working after some recent update

OP on the steam thread fixed it by switching from GNOME to KDE.

Are you using GNOME? Are you using the Wayland session (default) or Xorg? Try the other.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-11-06 20:22:39

luken

Yes! It fixed the problem big_smile . Thank you very much. For others - to disable Wayland session:

Edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf file, and uncomment/add line in the [daemon] group: WaylandEnable=false

This is acceptable workaround for me for now, but I'm still interested what causes the problem.

Last edited by luken (2016-11-06 20:22:56)

#4 2016-11-06 21:05:23

JohnBobSmith

luken wrote:

...but I'm still interested what causes the problem.

One word: Wayland*

Please remember to mark your thread as solved by appending [SOLVED] to the original posts title. smile

*I have zero experience with wayland, and don't plan on gaining any. But basically since everything graphical requires Xorg and an x-server, and it has been this way for a very, very long time, migrating software to wayland is very likely to be incredibly difficult. Because wayland is still in its infancy, there are bound to be hundreds, if not thousands of bugs that have yet to be fixed. This means you will have lots of issues with wayland. Xorg, on the other hand, is proven, stable software. To the best of my knowledge, Xorg has been the only choice of display server up until the birth of wayland. Therefore, you can expect 99% everything to work with Xorg. My thoughts on wayland? Forget it. I will admit that I am biased against wayland, and that this is my opinion. But I hope answers your quoted curiosity/question. smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#5 2016-11-09 13:21:46

Wild Penguin

Getting off topic, but:

There was a reason wayland was coined. X.org (or X11) started waaaaay back (don't know/remember when, but the roots are pperhaps ~20 years ago) and this causes it to have some unnecessary complexities resulting from the needs of a modern GUI compared to what was needed and could be imagined back then.

This includes 3D acceleration, effects and (seamless / non-tearing) video playback, input devices and perhaps others...

While all of the above can be done with X.org, I believe there is extra work for the programmers and sometimes annoying bugs for the users (like it can be a PITA to get tearless video playback, depending on your video card manufacturer - and this is, if I have understod correctly, partly because it is difficult to write drivers for X.org to achieve this).

Wayland might not be mature yet, and nearly all software is still indeed written for X.org. But in the long run, I believe it will be a good thing!

#6 2016-11-10 16:11:11

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

More like 32 years ago , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_ … se_history .

X does need to be replaced, and wayland is the most mature and most likely successor .
Whether gnome devs decision to make wayland the default now is a good decision is another matter.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer