You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-04 19:19:59

HarveyK

[Solved] Old suspend problem raises again [...] on HP Probook 430

From my first install in September 2015 up to approx. January 2016, my notebook (Intel Haswell CPU) randomly had trouble entering suspend-to-RAM state: The charging LED (not the usual power button LED) then sometimes started to blink white, and after a long timeout the machine switched off completely or hung. This even occurred automatically when being idle on batteries, posing a real problem of possible loss of unsaved data.

I was never able to reproduce this reliably, track it down or even find relevant log file entries, but luckily with the kernel updates around January or February it went away. Of course there are a lot of reports regarding suspend (and wake-up) problems, but none of them seem to match my case exactly.

Now with recent kernels 4.8.x and even 4.4.30-1-lts, this old problem is back again (maybe older versions of the last weeks are also affected - it's hard to tell from memory and I needed some time to realize there is a systematic problem again).

I now downgraded to 4.7.2-1 as of August 21st - a working version (I think).

Maybe related, maybe not: Both 4.4.30-1-lts and 4.8.6-1 kernels don't respect my DE power settings (Plasma 5 system settings): Although I have set "Do nothing" on lid close, these both kernels suspend my notebook when I close its lid. With kernel 4.7.2-1 (and no other configuration change at all), this setting is respected as desired.

Here is my dmesg log.

Heinz

Last edited by HarveyK (2017-05-05 12:44:31)

#2 2016-11-11 21:11:05

HarveyK

Re: [Solved] Old suspend problem raises again [...] on HP Probook 430

Update:

I was down to kernel 4.6.4-1 and still experience this bug, so I no longer think it's kernel related. Must be something else, I'm clueless...

#3 2017-05-05 12:43:36

HarveyK

Does it count as necrobumping if I post a solution?

After suffering from this issue more and more the last months, I was finally able to find the culprit:

I had "/usr/sbin/powertop --auto-tune" active on system start, and disabling it solves my problem.

So looks like the power management wiki is right when it says "Only run one of these tools to avoid possible conflicts [...]"

#4 2017-05-05 14:59:42

ewaller
Administrator

HarveyK wrote:

Does it count as necrobumping if I post a solution?

No.  But more importantly, it is your own thread.  One of the reasons we discourage posting to old threads is that often the OP is no longer around or cares.

Glad it is solved.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer