You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-12 19:36:55

gmartins

[SOLVED] geoclue2 could not be upgraded

pacman fails to upgrade geoclue2 for conflicts with existing files from geoclue.
Both packages are installed in my system as dependencies of other packages.

Last edited by gmartins (2016-11-12 20:56:03)

#2 2016-11-12 19:41:10

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] geoclue2 could not be upgraded

Where is your 'geoclue' package from? It isn't in the repos or the AUR.. What depends on it? Please show the output of

pacman -Qi geoclude

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-11-12 20:08:15

gmartins

[gilcio@archstar ~]$ pacman -Qi geoclue
Nome                 : geoclue
Versão               : 0.12.99-2
Descrição            : Modular geoinformation service built on the D-Bus
                       messaging system.
Arquitetura          : x86_64
URL                  : http://geoclue.freedesktop.org/
Licenças             : LGPL
Grupos               : Nenhum
Provê                : Nenhum
Depende de           : dbus-glib  libxml2  dconf
Depend. opcionais    : networkmanager: geolocation [instalado]
                       libsoup-gnome: Skyhook location provider [instalado]
Necessário para      : Nenhum
Opcional para        : Nenhum
Conflita com         : Nenhum
Substitui            : Nenhum
Tamanho instalado    : 830,00 KiB
Empacotador          : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <jan.steffens@gmail.com>
Data da compilação   : seg 30 jun 2014 15:44:35 BRT
Data de instalação   : qua 11 nov 2015 15:46:09 BRST
Motivo da instalação : Instalado como dependência de outro pacote
Script de instalação : Sim
Validado por         : Assinatura

#4 2016-11-12 20:11:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please paste in English and use code tags: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2016-11-12 20:11:53

gmartins

It was installed as a dependency of another package but now pacman query info declares  there is no package that needs it .

#6 2016-11-12 20:17:10

gmartins

[gilcio@archstar ~]$ LC_ALL=C pacman -Qi geoclue
Name            : geoclue
Version         : 0.12.99-2
Description     : Modular geoinformation service built on the D-Bus messaging
                  system.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://geoclue.freedesktop.org/
Licenses        : LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : dbus-glib  libxml2  dconf
Optional Deps   : networkmanager: geolocation [installed]
                  libsoup-gnome: Skyhook location provider [installed]
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 830.00 KiB
Packager        : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <jan.steffens@gmail.com>
Build Date      : Mon Jun 30 15:44:35 2014
Install Date    : Wed Nov 11 15:46:09 2015
Install Reason  : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

#7 2016-11-12 20:22:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Thanks for posting it in English, but you forgot to use code tags.

If no packages require it, then remove it. I suggest running pacman -Qtd and seeing if you have any other orphan packages, and cleaning those up too.

Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

#8 2016-11-12 20:50:54

gmartins

Thanks for your help.
Have a good weekend

#9 2016-11-12 20:54:53

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as solved by editing the first post and amending your topic's title.

#10 2016-11-12 21:50:57

HiImTye

geoclue2 is a dependency of some packages such as empathy. you checked geoclue, not geoclue2 up there. to resolve the issue, delete the files geoclue2 says exist in the file system and then update

#11 2016-11-12 23:52:06

Scimmia
Fellow

HiImTye wrote:

geoclue2 is a dependency of some packages such as empathy. you checked geoclue, not geoclue2 up there. to resolve the issue, delete the files geoclue2 says exist in the file system and then update

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Deleting files that belong to a package is a horrible idea.

#12 2016-11-13 02:51:35

DarkVenger

Scimmia wrote:
HiImTye wrote:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Totally agreed with Scimmia here.
However, for this particular case (and from the changes) it does seem geoclue2 "supersedes" geoclue (that appears on the output of pacman -Qdt as a possible orphan), so you can do pacman -Rs geoclue and then successfully upgrade geoclue2.

Using pacman to solve conflicts is safer and cleaner than manually deleting "random" package files wink.

#13 2016-11-13 15:23:10

kaipee

DarkVenger wrote:

However, for this particular case (and from the changes) it does seem geoclue2 "supersedes" geoclue (that appears on the output of pacman -Qdt as a possible orphan), so you can do pacman -Rs geoclue and then successfully upgrade geoclue2.

Using pacman to solve conflicts is safer and cleaner than manually deleting "random" package files wink.

This works fine.
It looks as though geoclue package got renamed to geoclue2 while the application paths are still /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/...

You can safely remove geoclue and update/install to geoclue2

#14 2016-11-14 09:37:38

Bfg

DarkVenger wrote:
Scimmia wrote:
HiImTye wrote:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Thanks!

#15 2016-11-14 19:27:36

Texbrew

Bfg wrote:
DarkVenger wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Thanks!

Well, stupidity just oozes out of me sometimes, and I deleted those geoclue files in an Arch VM before reading this thread. I think got "lucky"; it didn't seem to break anything. After seeing this thread, I followed the -Qdt, -Rs instructions and removed geoclue completely.

Dodged a possible breakage, but that's why I usually do upgrades & changes in a VM first before upgrading bare metal installs.

#16 2016-11-14 19:36:42

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

If you removed the files or forced the update, then removed geoclue, you may now be missing files from the geoclue2 package. Double check using 'pacman -Qkk geoclue2'.

#17 2016-11-14 21:00:56

Texbrew

WorMzy wrote:

If you removed the files or forced the update, then removed geoclue, you may now be missing files from the geoclue2 package. Double check using 'pacman -Qkk geoclue2'.

I will check that, but I didn't force the update. I perceive that's ill advised and have only used --force with the recent ttf-dejavu upgrade per the Front Page news instruction.

Anyway, with geoclue2, the upgrade stopped, I (stupidly) removed the geoclue files, re-ran pacman -Syu successfully in that VM. Later went back and removed geoclue through pacman after reading this thread.

Edit: Looks like I broke it. Just restarted the VM, checked the pacman log. geoclue was remove after geoclue2 was upgraded. Following your 'pacman -Qkk geoclue2' intruction, there are 7 missing directories/files, and reinstalling throws errors related to those missing files

sudo pacman -Qkk geoclue2
[sudo] password for jb: 
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/geoclue.devhelp2 (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/home.png (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/index.html (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/left.png (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/right.png (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/style.css (No such file or directory)
warning: geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/up.png (No such file or directory)
geoclue2: 99 total files, 7 altered files
[jb@vm-ar ~]$ sudo pacman -S geoclue2
warning: geoclue2-2.4.4-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) geoclue2-2.4.4-2

Total Installed Size:  1.09 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [######################] 100%
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/geoclue.devhelp2
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/home.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/index.html
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/left.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/right.png
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/style.css
warning: could not get file information for usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/up.png
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling geoclue2                        [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

And of course, the original geoclue is no longer in the repos. Maybe I can copy those missing files from another Arch install?

Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Apologies for any redundancy, thanks for your input.

tex

Edit2: Me poor brain is starting to hurt. I did find those missing files on an Arch USB stick install, which I can access from the Arch VM where I made the mistake. Perhaps I can copy them over, including the directories that were deleted. I think it's best to wait, hopefully will see some expert advice before I try that. Since this thread is marked [SOLVED], do I need to open a new thread?

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-11-14 23:38:41)

#18 2016-11-14 23:50:17

Scimmia
Fellow

The reinstall went fine and the files should now be there. No harm done as these are just documentation; if they were something more important, it could have caused more issues, though.

#19 2016-11-15 02:58:10

Texbrew

Thank you, Scimmia. I'll try to just get on with it and stop fretting. I've learned a lesson, hope I don't have to re-learn it. I haven't found anything broken yet in that VM, but I haven't looked at all it's software, either.

Worst case, reinstall the VM.

tex

#20 2016-11-16 18:09:58

owblique

Excuse me but I am a bit confused about how I should proceed to update.  I got this after running:

# sudo pacman -Syuvw
:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(80/80) checking keys in keyring                                                           [#####################################################] 100%
(80/80) checking package integrity                                                         [#####################################################] 100%
(80/80) loading package files                                                              [#####################################################] 100%
(80/80) checking for file conflicts                                                        [#####################################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/geoclue.devhelp2 exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/home.png exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/index.html exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/left.png exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/right.png exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/style.css exists in filesystem
geoclue2: /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/up.png exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

In the wiki I found instructions about handling this type of errors
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pa … 9.22_error

I checked if any of these files are owned by another package:

pacman -Qo /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/geoclue.devhelp2
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/geoclue/geoclue.devhelp2 is owned by geoclue 0.12.99-2
WorMzy wrote:

If no packages require it, then remove it. [...]

DarkVenger wrote:

[...] it does seem geoclue2 "supersedes" geoclue (that appears on the output of pacman -Qdt as a possible orphan), so you can do pacman -Rs geoclue and then successfully upgrade geoclue2.

Should I remove geoclue or geoclue2?  Afterwards should I run pacman -Scc to clean the cached packages or run pacman -Suv to upgrade?

#21 2016-11-16 18:47:30

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

You should read the thread, your situation is no different to everyone else who encountered this, and all the information you need to make an informed decision is available to you. Don't expect to have your hand held.

#22 2016-11-17 00:02:55

Siassei

Same problem there and DarkVenger answer solved the problem. I had run the last update a few weeks ago. Perhaps that was the problem?
Whatever, why that does not post at archlinux.org news channel?

# pacman -Rs geoclue
# pacman -Syu 
DarkVenger wrote:
Scimmia wrote:
HiImTye wrote:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

#23 2016-11-17 00:12:58

Scimmia
Fellow

Siassei wrote:

A news post because people ignored Pacman when it told you that geoclue was no longer required and kept around unsupported packages? Nope, not gonna happen.

#24 2016-11-17 08:29:23

Storm
Website

Scimmia wrote:
Siassei wrote:

A news post because people ignored Pacman when it told you that geoclue was no longer required and kept around unsupported packages? Nope, not gonna happen.

I don't think I've EVER seen Pacman tell me that a package is no longer needed. What am I missing?

"Sic itur ad astra per aspera."

#25 2016-11-17 08:31:59

Storm
Website

WorMzy wrote:

You should read the thread, your situation is no different to everyone else who encountered this, and all the information you need to make an informed decision is available to you. Don't expect to have your hand held.

There is still no reason to be rude.

"Sic itur ad astra per aspera."

Board footer