You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-13 12:41:33

shaoyu0209

[SOLVED] NVIDIA Optimus using proprietary solution

GPU: Intel HD 520 / NVIDIA GF 930M
DE: GNOME on Xorg
Screen Resolution: 2560*1440(WQHD)
Although xf86-video-nouveau-git works perfectly now, it offers poor performance, which is way less powerful than my integrated Intel GPU.(glxspheres64: 141 Mpx/s on nouveau vs. 201 Mpx/s on Intel) So, I see no point using it. After trying the solution, I can't log in using GDM.(black screen) So I removed nvidia-libgl and installed mesa-libgl package on TTY. How can I get it working as it is possible on ubuntu?(without using bumblebee)
Note that GDM does work properly, but after I clicked "Log in", the screen goes black.
Have anyone succeeded using this combination (GNOME+Optimus).
GNOME is the only option to me with a HiDPi display because configuring it on other DE isn't as good.

SOLUTION:
DO NOT USE GDM FOR THIS. I USED SDDM INSTEAD AND IT WORKED.

The nvidia driver gives me about 700 mpx/s, which is quite impressive.

Last edited by shaoyu0209 (2016-11-21 14:38:18)

#2 2016-11-14 13:36:44

mrunion
Website

Re: [SOLVED] NVIDIA Optimus using proprietary solution

Read the Wiki on the Optimus setups or search the forums. There is lots of information on this topic. I'm sure people have succeeded in using GNOME+ Optimus (I used to use it myself, long ago).

I know you're new here, but the Arch community expects you to help yourself, before asking for help. Search the forums and the Wiki, if you can't solve the issue, you will then have enough information to say what you've tried and what didn't work. That helps everyone -- you learn from the experience, and those that can help learn what you;ve already tried and what may need to be tried.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2016-11-14 14:57:03

zoutiyx

Re: [SOLVED] NVIDIA Optimus using proprietary solution

mrunion wrote:

Read the Wiki on the Optimus setups or search the forums. There is lots of information on this topic

In addition to what mrunion said and to solidify his reply, The arch wiki more specifically the NVIDIA article has everything you need to solve your problem. GIve that you have Optimus you need to use the Bumblebee approach. (Also in the wiki).

N.B. I have Optimus myself and it works wonderfully.

Board footer