You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-14 15:30:58

kgizdov
Package Maintainer (PM)

[Solved] Trouble with visualizing Git in terminal

Hi,

I recently wanted to visualize some complicated git branch structure in the terminal using:

git log --graph --pretty='%Cred%h%Creset -%C(yellow)%d%Creset %s %Cgreen(%cr) %C(bold blue)<%an>%Creset' --abbrev-commit --all

To my surprise it did not work as expected. This is an alias I have as part of some ZSH plugins I use and haven't tried the visualization in terminal for quite some time, but I am sure it used to work. Now, I tried exploring running it in bash, running from another account (also root), etc. It doesn't work anymore.

Was this functionality removed from Git or do the shells not support it anymore? What do people use nowadays for this?

Thanks.

Last edited by kgizdov (2016-11-14 16:01:45)

#2 2016-11-14 15:36:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] Trouble with visualizing Git in terminal

That kind of works for me.  I use vimpager as my pager, and it gives a bunch of errors with "Press Enter to Continue" but once I get through those it displays well.  But I've never used this type of git command before.

You may be interested in [community]/tig.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-11-14 16:01:32

kgizdov
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: [Solved] Trouble with visualizing Git in terminal

Ah, it was a broken commit... Silly me. This command works with `less`. Just tried `tig`. Seems really useful. Thanks for that.

Board footer