You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-26 19:37:48

twiistedkaos

[Solved-sortof] Mounting dvd drive /dev/hdc

My dvd drive is not mounting for some reason, I thought maybe I just needed to restart and that it would mount again but no luck, this is what I get:

mount /dev/hdc /test
mount: no medium found

I put the same DvD in my cdrom/dvd drive and it mounts so i know it's not the dvd. I thought well, this is a dell shipped dvd drive so maybe it died, I'll give it a test. I slap the dvd in the drive, since it's the master cd drive it shoudl load a cd at bootup and it does, loads Fedora dvd image easily. I did upgrade something this morning, mostly gnome stuff, so I am thinking it's one of the packages assuming I don't have /dev/hdc on my computer. Is there a way to see what's going on?

Quick Edit
I did a quick edit to see what exactly was going on, I am far from a linux pro, but I do have some common sense. I took gdm / hal off my daemons list and rebooted. Now from command linue I logged into root and tried to mount the drive /dev/hdc and it worked perfectly flawless, no errors. So I am guessing this has to do with a hal problems that was caused during an update. Any further help would be much appreciated though because I don't know where to go from here.

Edit again
I solved my little "issue" apparently it was just the dvd I was trying, for some odd reason my dvd drive was refusing to auto-load the dvd movie. Yes I burned a dvd movie, I do own the original copy, I just burn a backup incase of dmg / loss. The original dvd loads fine with no mounting issues. The dvd I burned works in a dvd player, and on my secondary dvd/rw drive, I don't like watching movies on the dvd/rw drive though because of the fact that it's read capabilities is much slower. I am still puzzled on why my dvd drive doesn't like to mount / read it correctly.

Board footer