You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-16 22:18:35

rlees85
Website

Archlinux, Cloud and Automation

Not sure if many others have noticed, but Archlinux makes a very good distro for automating with the likes of Ansible and also runs really well on AWS EC2.

The reason it is so easy to automate is because of the simple nature of the distro. It doesn't enable/start daemons or install a load of extra guff (I guess to help 'manual' sysadmins life easier) automatically with package installs. Having worked trying to automate Ubuntu, CentOS and Arch, Arch is normally the one to give the least hassle.

But I just wondered is there any plans for 'official' Archlinux EC2 (and Vagrant!) cloud-images? I guess the demand is very low as most large scale automaters are enterprises that are strictly CentOS/Debian but I just wondered if it was something the maintainers considered?

Would like to say thanks to uplink labs too, their current EC2 image is very good! Its a shame there seems to be nothing so well maintained for Vagrant too.

#2 2016-11-20 10:52:59

rlees85
Website

Re: Archlinux, Cloud and Automation

So now I maintain a Arch Vagrant image that I plan to keep up to date every month or two (since it takes literally a few minutes to bake).

https://vagrantcloud.com/rlees85/boxes/archlinux64

Board footer