You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-16 22:49:44

Zaxth

More intel_pstate investigations on Haswell-E 5820k

I've been trying to figure out what the hell is up with intel_pstate and why I can't have my 5820k run at max freq all the time.
To achieve that goal I've tried these things.

1. Appending intel_pstate=disable to my bootloader, and while that does indeed disable intel_pstate it does not allow me to use the normal acpi governor. With intel_pstate=disable cpupower tells me that there are no governors, and no acpi cpu's that can be controlled. Yes I did run it as root.

2. Removing intel_pstate from the kernel by not having it enabled on compile. I also set the governor to performance. This set the cpu at a fixed mhz of 2.3 ghz. Where it should be fixed at 3.5ghz and due to turbo being on 4.3ghz. So with this setting I lost 2ghz, permanently. Cpupower still would not report any other possible governors or cpus to manage.

3. Using intel_pstate and making a script that runs "cpupower frequency-set -g performance" at boot, and while this does report the cpu hitting 4.3 ghz at times, most of the time it's as low as 1100mhz but averaging at 2.9 ghz even during kernel compile. Not to mention normal desktop usage with plasma 5.8 is slow as hell.

4. Turning off intel speedstep and intel c states in bios and using intel_pstate=disable. Same result as 1

5. Turning off intel speedstep and intel c states, but using "cpupower frequency-set -g performance" at boot with intel_pstate and it's the same result as in 3.

So far I've spent two days on this. So I eventually decided to install windows 7 on a seperate ssd and test with asus tweak util and cpu-z at "high performance" power option. Rock solid 4.3ghz constantly, even when the system was idle.
It's can't be true that sandybridge and up should have this poor performance on Linux. I just can't believe that, but at this point I don't know what to do to fix it.

Board footer