You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-17 21:33:00

skyeyemachine

MOC volume control problem (alsa, basic USB audio card)

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with controlling my system's audio volume from within MOC.  I am using a very basic USB sound card, a "TROND AC2" (which requires no external drivers), and ALSA. 

When I run MOC and play a track, the audio plays fine through the USB card.  I am also able to control the audio volume for the card from within alsamixer using default settings.

However, MOC itself only provides the mixers "PCM", "PCM", and "S.off".  Both "PCM" instances are locked at 0.  The "S.off" value can be changed, but does not seem to affect audio playback volume at all.

My user is added to the "audio" group and I'm not clear what I'm missing here.  Can someone please help me understand what's wrong?  Thanks.

EDIT: I learned about MOC's "softmixer" channel feature ("w" to enable), and that is working as a substitute for now.  But I'd still like to enable direct control via the default hardware channel options if possible.

Last edited by skyeyemachine (2016-11-17 22:36:24)

#2 2016-11-19 16:00:39

pigiron

Re: MOC volume control problem (alsa, basic USB audio card)

If you can control the volume using alsamixer, you should be able to control it using moc.

cp /usr/share/doc/moc/config.example ~/.moc/config

Run "amixer -c <card-number> scontrols" to find the name of the volume control(s) and then edit ALSAMixer1 and/or ALSAMixer2 in the ~/.moc/config file... along with any other configuration parameters needed and/or wanted for this device.

moc will use the first of the above two mixer controls it makes successful contact with.

The above works for my setup, but I don't have pulseaudio installed, so not sure if it might interfere.

Board footer