You are not logged in.

#26 2016-11-17 09:01:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] geoclue2 could not be upgraded

Storm wrote:

I don't think I've EVER seen Pacman tell me that a package is no longer needed. What am I missing?

Same thing here, actually. The actual issue of this thread was quite simple, but I don't think I've ever seen a message saying a package is no longer needed. Nor that a package has been removed from the repos (the root of the issue in this thread). Last update of geoclue was in 2014!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#27 2016-11-17 12:45:16

eschwartz
Fellow

pacman only tells you that a package is no longer needed when you specifically run the command to find orphans. wink

Of course, yaourt runs that command after every "-Syu", so perhaps you should use yaourt. big_smile

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#28 2016-11-17 15:20:09

Scimmia
Fellow

Eschwartz wrote:

Of course, yaourt runs that command after every "-Syu", so perhaps you should use yaourt. big_smile

mea clupa. I've seen this before, it could have been with yaourt or another helper.

#29 2016-11-17 17:15:39

owblique

Wormy's message was referring to me and I have to say his message helped me to solve my problem, I read the thread in detail and I upgraded my system sucessfully.

Storm wrote:

There is still no reason to be rude.

#30 2016-11-17 21:06:05

Texbrew

Let's hear it for Wormzy.  His posts tend to be concise and to the point, and he is very knowledgable. In his unpaid moderator chair, it's his job to remind us when we haven't done our due diligence in searching answers before posting questions.

It's in our nature to think our problems are urgent and require immediate answers. Wormzy helps us to get over that notion, and if we really need to get over it, we can always go stand in line for a couple of days at the DMV or hospital emergency room. We're more likely to accumulate cobwebs than to get the attention we expect.

Just my two cents...

tex

Edit: I don't know if Wormzy is a he or a she. Apologies, Wormzy...

Last edited by Texbrew (2016-11-17 21:08:42)

#31 2016-11-28 14:39:55

intensity

Just in case anyone else comes to this thread and doesn't understand exactly how to fix it "cleanly", this should work. The trick is that currently something depends on geoclue (which owns those files), but the later versions of things only use geoclue2. So the trick is to upgrade all other programs, then remove geoclue (which will have no deps), then upgrade geoclue2.

pacman -Syu --ignore=geoclue2
pacman -Rns goeclue
pacman -S geoclue2

Board footer