You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-27 20:19:06

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Advice on a split package for deluge [SOLVED]

I'd like to create a split package for deluge similar to what debian does wherein the various components of the software can be divided up into their own packages (with their on unique deps).  I think the only way to do this is to painstakingly author the PKGBUILD to install the files needed based on how debian is doing it (the control file gives their deps and each .install gives the files needed for the subpackage). 

1) Am I correct that this is the only way to accomplish the split using PKGBUILDs?
2) If I am correct, what is the proper way to physically implement? 

Currently, the entire set of files is installed via:

python2 setup.py install --prefix=/usr --root="$pkgdir" --optimize=1

My guess #1) Repeat the install command for each subpackage and then have the PKGBUILD delete everything BUT the files I need for them?
My guess #2) Have each subpackage pull from a temp location which I do not know how to define in the PKGBUILD and that doesn't get packaged at all.  Something akin to --root=mytempdir in the above setup.py line.

Hope this makes sense.  Thanks.

Last edited by graysky (2016-11-28 19:30:56)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2016-11-27 20:46:57

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Advice on a split package for deluge [SOLVED]

You are right that it's the only way to accomplish it unless upstream provides separate targets for each component. Is this for personal use? I'm not sure if it would be valid for the AUR or not.

I've seen both ways used to split packages; I think it depends on just how much you're removing.

Last edited by Scimmia (2016-11-27 20:47:13)

#3 2016-11-27 21:01:18

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Ultimately, I'd like to have upstream provide the separate targets.  If that doesn't happen, it will be some time on my part so I would like to share with others in the AUR.  Right now I'm thinking to put the install step under the build function and use a sham target.  Each of the subpackages would then pull from the sham dir.  Again, it is not optimal but I am trying to work within the PKGBUILD architecture.

#4 2016-11-27 21:09:14

Allan
Pacman
Website

graysky wrote:

Right now I'm thinking to put the install step under the build function and use a sham target..

build() is not run under fakeroot.

#5 2016-11-27 21:11:25

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Allan wrote:
graysky wrote:

Right now I'm thinking to put the install step under the build function and use a sham target..

build() is not run under fakeroot.

Ouch.  It seems as though the strategy of building and deleting when isn't needed for each subpackage is the only viable one then.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited by graysky (2016-11-28 11:17:21)

#6 2016-11-28 19:30:46

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Thank you all for the replies and insights.  I opted for the reductive approach (wasn't that difficult after-all).

Board footer