You are not logged in.

#5676 2016-11-23 07:40:43

Texbrew

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

2bfree wrote:

... but I'm slowly becoming independent.

Welcome aboard from "just another member".

I think of the words 'independence' and 'freedom' as interchangeable. Feels good, doesn't it?

BTW, I have only done very little tinkering with A/V tools, but there are some good ones in the Arch repos. Take a look at handbrake, kdenlive, audacity.

Have fun!

#5677 2016-11-24 08:45:15

OaaH

Hello from Israel!
I have arch for about a year, I got addicted to the never ending cycle of:
Why nothing works this time?  --> oh.. i learnt something new here  --> yay! now my computer works just like any other!  --> why nothing works this time? --> ...

And of course it's super fun to be bleeding edge.

#5678 2016-11-24 16:49:55

arsgate

Hello,

Been a Mac, PC guy for years. Started using Linux in undergrad (mostly Ubuntu).
Mostly used Linux in for work or dedicated gaming servers. Decided there wasn't much else to learn with PC and ripped out my home rig OS and built an arch install from the ground up. So far so good. This could be the start of a new addiction.

#5679 2016-11-25 10:28:08

Guisanti

Hello guys, my name is Santiago and I'm studying software engineer at Málaga's university, Spain. I have been using linux around 1-2 months and i switched to arch due to the great documentation and its philosophy, cause now I want to learn a lot about linux and the amount of knowledge here in the wiki is amazing and also the way of using arch makes you learn a lot of the basics of everything. It's nice to be around of such a great commmunity you have there. I'm trying to adapt to arch because I'm not still very fluent on the usage of linux and I might question a bit of things to you if you don't mind.
Being all for now I hope we all have a great time around here.

#5680 2016-11-26 04:55:50

Texbrew

Some may be happier if I didn't post in this thread quite so often. I just find it difficult not to welcome new members now and then. So, please accept my personal, unofficial "Welcome Aboard".

For obvious reasons, linux has been from the beginning, an international community. That said, I think it's exciting to hear from new members of this community from all over the world.

My following comments are just my opinion, nothing more.

In choosing Arch Linux we have chosen the best documented, one of the more challenging "flavors" of linux available (I have not built Linux From Scratch nor have I compiled Gentoo).

When we have achieved the goal of a successful Arch Linux installation, we don't get any medals or merit badges and no one is there to pat us on the back. After all, all we have managed to do is read and pay attention to the instructions.

We do get a personal satisfaction from getting a linux operating system installed from the Command Line. That's reward enough for me, but there's more. Even if we have a sneaking suspicion that we probably didn't do it quite right, we did it. And we gained a little better understanding of how this linux thing works. Then, we receive a great benefit. We get to install exactly the software we want, not a big bundle of stuff we will never use. My Arch installs tend to be fairly light weight and boot much faster than other distros.

Still just my opinion... I think you have chosen the right one. Have fun with it.

tex

#5681 2016-11-26 09:21:54

Awebb

Texbrew wrote:

Some may be happier if I didn't post in this thread quite so often. I just find it difficult not to welcome new members now and then. So, please accept my personal, unofficial "Welcome Aboard".

Others want to make you the official welcoming committee. Now we need some counter to check, how many people try to click on the underlined words.

#5682 2016-11-26 10:59:42

KingElrond

Arch user since... a couple of weeks, maybe? :-)

Hello everybody :-)

#5683 2016-11-26 12:20:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Awebb wrote:

Now we need some counter to check, how many people try to click on the underlined words.

You mean like like this one?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5684 2016-11-26 13:18:22

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Give the guy a title already. Like, IDK, "Taco Sales Representative".

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5685 2016-11-26 21:35:38

Texbrew

Thanks for the encouragement, Awebb.

Hi, KingElrond.

Trilby, ??? I right-clicked to open a link, there was no link to open.

Alad, I didn't think I wanted a title, but I kinda like "Taco Sales Representative", so I'll take it. <insert goofy smiley here>

tex

#5686 2016-11-27 21:13:53

itsnard

Hey Everyone,

Just joined the Arch forum because it seems like the best way to get steeped in all things Arch. I've been casually dipping my toes in and out of Linux for a while, so I figure why not jump in at the hardest place possible and force myself to get it together and really understand what's going on?

May your beards be forever long.

#5687 2016-11-27 21:19:36

runical

itsnard wrote:

Just joined the Arch forum because it seems like the best way to get steeped in all things Arch. I've been casually dipping my toes in and out of Linux for a while, so I figure why not jump in at the hardest place possible and force myself to get it together and really understand what's going on?

So, why didn't you go LFS? tongue

Also, my beard thanks you for your encouragement. Unfortunately for him, I do not agree and will be shaving it in the morrow. Welcome to the club!

#5688 2016-11-29 15:52:11

Moondhum

Hello,

I have been using Arch since a year now, learned a lot about Linux. Many thanks to the lovely Arch community.

#5689 2016-11-29 23:24:12

Valina

Hello!

It is nice to finally register, I've been lurking the forums for a month now.
I've been using linux since early 2000's but this is the first time i actually try Arch Linux out as a primary OS on my laptop wink

The first days was abit rough but thanks to you guys in the forums I've managed better than expected, big salute to you fellow problemsolvers!
And it took me some time registering due to Guake spitting out a completly differend checksum for the registry question for some weird reason, not sure why.

Well, I'm here now, I hope to have nice talks and share knowledge with you guys here and learn a thing or loads about Arch!

Regards,
Valina

Guake is like a window blind, when wierd stuff starts to happen on the screen; simply hit F12, roll that blinder down and fix it! wink

#5690 2016-11-30 23:57:21

zgrayc

Hello All,

I am new to Arch as of three days ago. It's been fun so far.

zgrayc

#5691 2016-12-01 03:28:09

whatsup1827

Hi everyone, installing arch for the first time now!

#5692 2016-12-01 20:38:27

Valina

whatsup1827 wrote:

Hi everyone, installing arch for the first time now!

Hello!

I hope your installation did go well, I hope you're going to have alot of fun with your new Arch smile

Guake is like a window blind, when wierd stuff starts to happen on the screen; simply hit F12, roll that blinder down and fix it! wink

#5693 2016-12-01 23:58:22

pjdaly

Hi there all,

I chose Arch Linux because I'm looking for a lightweight Linux for an ARM Cortex A9 Trimslice at work.
I saw that attention has been given to this platform so I was optimistic that this would be a good choice.

It came up pretty easily after configuring the net and yp and automounts etc the way my company expects.
Took about a day and a half.

I've been struggling with getting the display up (for about a week) intending to use sddm and nouveau
which I will probably post about if I don't figure it out soon. 

Regards,

#5694 2016-12-02 00:20:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome pjdaly, please not that archlinuxARM is a separate distro with their own community.  So if/when you have questions about that device, please ask on their forums.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5695 2016-12-02 00:33:04

pjdaly

Doh!!!
I  knew that it had a separate community and forum.... then forgot that and joined this one.
Thanks for the heads up.

#5696 2016-12-02 10:59:44

mtemmerm

Hello from Belgium - I'm Michael. I'm a long time Linux user (since around 1996) and have previously used mostly Debian (for about 12 years) and now Arch for the last 6 or so. I'm interested in FreeBSD as well. Also used BeOS at a point. Don't like Ubuntu for some reason. I'm a tinkerer who is into sharing, foss, 3d printing, arduino & rpi like projects, learning new stuff and being nice to other people smile. My professional background is mostly in IT (support tech for 8 years) but for the last year I'm trying to make a living from home as a (mostly technical) translator. I'm also a musician (play the piano, guitar, banjo, bass, drums, harmonica but I fail miserably at the saxophone unfortunately) and my home studio was based on an Arch installation running on an HP laptop, which recently died. Got myself a new HP laptop to run Arch on, but looking for a Lenovo to run the home studio on now. Love Ardour & ZynAddSubFX. That about sums me up for now. Oh maybe just want to add that I often speak (and write) before I think about it. So yeah... smile Hi again and hope to be of assistance here.

Daily driver: an HP 2760p running Arch GNU/Linux, GNOME and Xorg.

#5697 2016-12-03 20:07:33

Sindarin

Hi again,

basic needs done, marked in my post and signature

I'll need to read a lot of wiki and such for improving into some advanced skills,
i did things with GUI helpers.

Last edited by Sindarin (2016-12-07 19:25:22)

* install arch cool               * install dsk envir. cool
* i've returned to gnome3 cool    * install libreoffice cool
* make the scnn wrk cool  * printer works cool
* skype works cool            * shared folder cool

#5698 2016-12-05 10:27:26

collector1871

Hello from Poland. I have just install Arch Linux in one of my notebook. I have used Debian for almost 5 years, but Arch should be better for desktop computer for my needs (please, no distrowar here). In my cases Debian has too many bugs for desktop (but Debian stable is nice for server). Before Arch installation, I have read arch.wiki many times and checked PKGBUILDs. I really like simplicity of these scripts - almost everything here is based on pure bash&git. It is similar to Slackware builds (SlackBuilds.org).
I am working in technical environment and unix/linux are my daily work tools. In 2-3 months I will try publish some packages in AUR and meaby edit wiki (it depends on free time). At this moment everything is working flawlessly and I have no issues with my first Arch installation.
Sorry for bad english.

I hope we will see in next forum posts, IRC, AUR and meaby arch.wiki smile

My: AUR and homepage .

#5699 2016-12-05 16:41:47

elan17
Website

Hey there. First post on the forums but I've been using arch for around 2 years. What could I tell you about my xp here?. Well. I would tell that I'm in love with pacman, not sure why. Every time I try another distro I miss it so hard that i always return here, gr8 job smile .

I'm a "minimalistic" user (running xfce4 but I've also tried openbox and awesome) who codes on Vim. I'm studying my first year of the degree. What else could I tell you that you don't know?. Mmmm.... I also love cookies wink

Last edited by elan17 (2016-12-05 20:06:55)

What do I hate most?. Well. Being at university working with IDEs like bluej and distros such as Ubuntu when I'm used to edit config files and code with my pretty awesome Vim at my hard-builded Arch system. Yep, that sucks.

#5700 2016-12-07 10:19:49

noobExtreme

Coming from the sticks in Zimbabwe, where to charge our laptops we put the cables in Fire...!

Been using arch for half a year now, and for some reason I'm struggling to fight the urge to install Arch on every single PC I lay my eyes on.

Board footer