You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-02 10:43:55

anselm
Banned

No sound through pulseaudio when playing media file with VLC

I would like to "visualize" a music sample by projectM-pulseaudio, because later I want to record it as a video. I installed the package projectM, and then I started pulseaudio by "pulseaudio --start". Then I selected the pulseaudio output module in VLC and tried to play the music: no sound.

ProjectM music visualizer can only "listen" to the sound on pulseaudio. I can see that the music is visualized by colorful lines, spots, waves,  etc. when VLC playback is on, but I can't hear the sound at the same time. When VLC playback is off (paused) then colorful lines and other visualisations disappear, so projectM must "hear" the music through pulseaudio, but I can't hear the music from the speaker.

When I set the output module in VLC to automatic there is sound again, I can hear the music, but projectM is unable to "listen" to the pulseaudio: no visualizations any more.

What should I do to play the music in VLC and visualize it at the same time? Is there any other method to make a video from the music by visualizing it, preferably with projectM but without screen recording? Because then it can be difficult to syncronize the original music and the recorded video.

Last edited by anselm (2016-12-02 10:45:38)

#2 2016-12-02 16:48:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: No sound through pulseaudio when playing media file with VLC

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*
pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sink-inputs

while playing and having VLC set to pulseaudio

Board footer