You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-31 19:21:01

xtian

[solved] VIMRUNTIME points to old version

I'm troubleshooting a problem I posted about in Anyone else experiencing Spell file errors after routine Vim updates?. The short of it seems that VIMRUNTIME is corrupt. The first thing I tried was simply remove and reinstall, but this didn't correct the problem.

$echo $VIMRUNTIME
/usr/share/vim/vim74 
$ls /usr/share/vim
vim80
vimfiles

Since VIMRUNTIME is sorted during install, What would be the Archlinux way to fix this environmental variable problem?

Last edited by xtian (2016-11-27 18:14:06)

#2 2016-11-03 02:20:03

bryan.paradis

Re: [solved] VIMRUNTIME points to old version

What is in your ~/.vimrc and your /etc/vimrc? What is in your .bashrc? Where is VIMRUNTIME being set. Is it even supposed to be set on arch? In The /etc/vimrc you have the line:

runtime! archlinux.vim

This line seems to ber responsible for making vim use the correct arch defaults and the archlinux.vim is replaced one very upgrade. As per: https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … ckages/vim

" All system-wide defaults are set in $VIMRUNTIME/archlinux.vim (usually just
" /usr/share/vim/vimfiles/archlinux.vim) and sourced by the call to :runtime
" you can find below.  If you wish to change any of those settings, you should
" do it in this file (/etc/vimrc), since archlinux.vim will be overwritten
" everytime an upgrade of the vim packages is performed.  It is recommended to
" make changes after sourcing archlinux.vim since it alters the value of the
" 'compatible' option.

" This line should not be removed as it ensures that various options are
" properly set to work with the Vim-related packages.
runtime! archlinux.vim

" If you prefer the old-style vim functionalty, add 'runtime! vimrc_example.vim'
" Or better yet, read /usr/share/vim/vim80/vimrc_example.vim or the vim manual
" and configure vim to your own liking!

" do not load defaults if ~/.vimrc is missing
"let skip_defaults_vim=1

I do not have any env set for VIMRUNTIME. Strace does not show vim looking/setting VIMRUNTIME either. If I have to guess something has either clogged somewhere else from an unrelated package or some configuration entered in your .vimrc, /etc/vimrc, .bashrc or something else.

Last edited by bryan.paradis (2016-11-03 02:24:27)

#3 2016-11-07 15:48:25

bryan.paradis

Did you figure this out?

#4 2016-11-27 18:05:22

xtian

Sorry for the late reply. Yes. I did figure it out.

The problem was inside of `.bashrc`, where I manually set the `VIMRUNTIME` var. I recall now it was something I was testing after a deep dive into the Vim-verse.

I didn't find the--embarrassingly simple--problem because,
1. at first I thought VIMRUNTIME was set in a vimrc, and the terminal was just reflecting this setting (which is really stupid now that I think of it).
2. my .vimrc file imports two of four other settings files depending on the file type, causing more confusion,
3. I'm making erroneous `grep` statements searching in `.vim`, `/etc/bash.bashrc` and `~/.bashrc` and not searching these files using vim's search (which was how I ultimately found the problem statement).

Just to show it wasn't a total waste of time, @bryan.paradis, your first reply gave me some useful `strace` skills for future app-troubleshooting--thanks Also, VIMs Google Group was useful in helping me understand vim's runtime path variable was this post in VIM google groups. Here a user explains how to analyze the VIMRUNTIME path from inside of vim:

User Gary wrote:

Since you know where your Vim runtime files reside, execute

:echo $VIMRUNTIME

and verify that its value matches your installation's runtime
directory (usually /usr/share/vim/vim80).  Your spell files should
be visible with this command:

:!ls $VIMRUNTIME/spell 

Then execute

:set rtp? 

and verify that it contains the value of $VIMRUNTIME.  The
'runtimepath' value might be easier to read with this command:

:echo substitute(&rtp, ',', '\n', 'g') 

Hopefully this will help others.

Last edited by xtian (2016-11-27 18:17:29)

#5 2016-12-03 08:42:52

bryan.paradis

xtian wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. Yes. I did figure it out.

The problem was inside of `.bashrc`, where I manually set the `VIMRUNTIME` var. I recall now it was something I was testing after a deep dive into the Vim-verse.

wink The amount of times I have caused myself a headache after some fiddling...

I didn't find the--embarrassingly simple--problem because,
1. at first I thought VIMRUNTIME was set in a vimrc, and the terminal was just reflecting this setting (which is really stupid now that I think of it).
2. my .vimrc file imports two of four other settings files depending on the file type, causing more confusion,
3. I'm making erroneous `grep` statements searching in `.vim`, `/etc/bash.bashrc` and `~/.bashrc` and not searching these files using vim's search (which was how I ultimately found the problem statement).

grepping around for VIMRUNTIME in your home folder is a good idea. May take awhile depending on what is in there.

grep -R VIMRUNTIME ~/

Though pretty much anything weird getting set in all terminals with your user best check bashrc. You can always try ruling out bashrc by running /bin/sh and then checking if you have the same env or problem as it won't run bashrc.

Just to show it wasn't a total waste of time, @bryan.paradis, your first reply gave me some useful `strace` skills for future app-troubleshooting--thanks

Hey your welcome! It's a really useful tool!

Board footer