You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-29 00:58:11

akurashy

partitioning

okay, im a ubuntu user but im deciding to give a try to arch linux,

my problem, i don't know if it answered but i also don't want to risk it,

I have right now a lot of things in my main partition (which is ubuntu), the other partition is windows but i want to erase it to install arch linux

well i did run the cd, and found the partitioner, but it was to plain so i didn't want to risk it pressing a thing that would cause fatal things (as erasing my main partition x_X)

how can i partition my windows partition, (to erase it and recreate the required ones for Arch linux

so far i got to -> Prepare your hard drive -> partitioner , then it showed me some /dev/hda, then i stopped there

anyone can help me out here?

#2 2006-05-29 01:20:51

ralvez
Website

Re: partitioning

I think it is better for you to "see" where things are before you errase.
After you are ready to install, and before your press /arch/setup
type fdisk /dev/hda.
Press "p" to see the partitions and you will be able to identify which partition has Windows. Then you delete that partition and use the space for Arch.

#3 2006-05-29 02:33:11

PJ

If you want something easier to use I would suggest cfdisk. Type cfdisk /dev/hda . I think the rest is a bit self explained if you have done partitioning before.

#4 2006-05-29 03:00:50

akurashy

but what should i do? use the installer , go to prepare your HD, then go to /dev/hda ?

(i just want to know what happens after you select that, and what i need to do) im pretty sure i can work around that, i done partitioning before but i also don't want to risk it if of course you understand

also another thing, about installing GRUB, does it detects my ubuntu partition or any other when installing?

edit:

also i need some lessons, since this is my first time partitioning for two linux system,

I have "/" ext3 that i use for everything, by that I mean i don't really know how this will work out, is it okay to have two "/" will it conflict? same goes to the other partitions, since they are the same i really don't know if they are going to conflict

#5 2006-05-29 03:59:06

rayjgu3

in ubuntu as root
type "mount"  <no quotes<
see where all is mounted  you should see something like this

mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

take notice im using a sata drive which = /dev/sda if your using ide drive =hdX
sda3 for me is arch 32 bit
take notes to NOT TOUCH the partitions you want saved
now heres some screenshots of install

provided by uwolfer
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slide … 50&slide=1

this i would think will clear up alot for you, if not ask

#6 2006-05-29 05:11:14

akurashy

thanks a lot, that pretty much cleared much of my questions, though im still a bit nervous, i mean about how the partitions work, like my partition says in ubuntu "hda2" that means its the second partition, so pretty much i have to clear hda1 and divide it to what i need?

(btw what was the partitions i needed to create again?)

also a newbiew question since i never done this before (well only windows and linux in dual boot, but not two linux dual boots)

after i install arch linux, it will not interfere with my ubuntu files right? its because since both have "/" as main ext3 it looks to me like something going to happen, *though im sounding a bit nervous over nothing already*

#7 2006-05-29 11:19:43

rayjgu3

akurashy  wrote   
thanks a lot, that pretty much cleared much of my questions, though im still a bit nervous, i mean about how the partitions work, like my partition says in ubuntu "hda2" that means its the second partition, so pretty much i have to clear hda1 and divide it to what i need?

dont divide hda1 only format it to filesystem you want

(btw what was the partitions i needed to create again?)
im pretty sure you created a swap partition for ubuntu probably hda4 or 5
so install arch to hda1 & use smae swap partition as ubuntu <whichever partition it is<

also a newbiew question since i never done this before (well only windows and linux in dual boot, but not two linux dual boots)
read about grub & lilo http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cat … ot_Process

after i install arch linux, it will not interfere with my ubuntu files right? its because since both have "/" as main ext3 it looks to me like something going to happen, *though im sounding a bit nervous over nothing already*

all linux distros use the "/"  so does windows they just put a letter in front
"A:  ,  C: , D: "  <see what i mean they use "" but prefix with letter
linux is a little more descriptive /dev/hda = primary master  /dev/hdc = secondary master where as m$ letters could corrospond any where for instance
in linux say you have /dev/hda2  but in m$ it could be D: or it could be Z: or not have
a letter designated at all

there is alot of information to absorb it may be for your own piece of mind you buy a second hard drive for to install arch onto that way your sure not to destroy any files on
/dev/hda cause all arch will be on /dev/hdb or if you go sata or scsi it will be /dev/sda
hopefully your system has a way to choose what drive to boot on my machine i hit F8
while its post'ing when post is done i can choose to boot from
fl
zip
usb
cd
dvd
hda
hdb
scsi
sata
network

on dell pc's its F12 on some F11 others like my asus k7v600x i hit esc then ctrl
will give boot options

hope this cleared a few things & not confused you more

#8 2006-05-29 16:41:18

akurashy

thanks you all for helping me out

I installed arch linux at last, booted it didn't even took a sec,

Now i just need to fix my connection there and wala, and of course my ubuntu partition is ok!

thanks again!

Board footer