You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-05 03:34:37

Rojikku

NVIDIA driver causing chromium latency?

If I use nouveau, chromium has no noticable latency when typing on, say, facebook. If I use NVIDIA, it seems to have worse performance. A friend mentioned something about a new V-Sync thing they're doing, I'm not sure if that's related.

If I use nouveau, and I boot my QEMU virtual machine with PCIe passthrough, my XORG crashed (Though the windows side works fine, as far as I can tell). Therefore I can't seem to use nouveau with QEMU, and NVIDIA causes latency. The best solution would be to just fix the latency, I'd think. Though if nouveau can be fixed, that'd be fine too. I have an easier time managing things through nvidia-settings, though.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? It feels kind of like frames are being dropped from chromium. I just want it to stop doing that.

Edit: There also appeared to be tearing in chromium, with the NVIDIA driver.

Last edited by Rojikku (2016-12-05 04:17:44)

#2 2016-12-05 07:20:36

ElderSnake

Re: NVIDIA driver causing chromium latency?

Is it just Chromium? I find most apps, especially browsers (moreso Firefox in my experience) to be quite laggy with NVIDIA. The whole desktop experience with NVIDIA is not amazing IMO, hopefully eventual Wayland support fixes that, but I digress.

Have you tried turning off V-Sync (or turning it on, depending on what it is at the moment) in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#3 2016-12-05 08:21:47

Rojikku

ElderSnake wrote:

Is it just Chromium? I find most apps, especially browsers (moreso Firefox in my experience) to be quite laggy with NVIDIA. The whole desktop experience with NVIDIA is not amazing IMO, hopefully eventual Wayland support fixes that, but I digress.

Have you tried turning off V-Sync (or turning it on, depending on what it is at the moment) in the NVIDIA Control Panel?

I toggled Sync to VBlank, if that's what you mean. I'm honestly not sure, otherwise. I think their settings tool is great for configuring my monitors and saving an xorg.conf. I don't know of any other programs that let me do that. I agree, the experience isn't that great.

I've recently realized I had a bad RAM stick, which I am getting replaced. It's removed in the meantime, and now pictures in chrome load /way/ faster. My issue as stated in OP remains, though. I have yet to test nouveau since fixing that, and I'm wondering if it crashed because of some sort of memory thing. Though I don't know why nouveau would, and no other driver would.

What do you use to fix this, or do you just put up with it?

#4 2016-12-05 09:14:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

What's your WM? Nvidia doesn't contain 2D xorg acceleration code therefore if you don't use a compositing window manager, most of your window calculation and updates are going to be unaccelerated.

#5 2016-12-05 09:26:19

ElderSnake

I'll be honest, I've just put up with a lot of NVIDIA's problems on the desktop, mostly in favour of the better gaming performance.

I run MATE desktop with no compositor/effects which seems to perform the best in terms of response/latency. Oddly, Firefox in particular in MATE (GTK3) behaves much better than it does even in a totally barebones window manager like DWM (GTK2?). V1del is right though that a compositor *should* improve things over some non-composited desktops, but YMMV.

At least I don't get screen tearing any more, thanks to this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … en_tearing .I sort of gave up on NVIDIA being perfect on the desktop though - my Intel based laptop is far smoother on the desktop, even moreso now it's running Wayland/GNOME.

If Nouveau would work fine for you, it's worth trying it again.

Last edited by ElderSnake (2016-12-05 09:29:08)

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#6 2016-12-05 20:52:39

Rojikku

v1del, I'm using i3wm. I'm using compton as a compositor.

Since I'm doing PCI passthrough, I realized I don't need any gaming performance in Linux, so I'm trying to branch out.
I have an integrated intel chip I could switch to, I'm just not sure if it's powerful enough.

I have not tried Wayland...I'll look into it, if only for learning and testing.

Edit: Integrated chip is amazing, but my second linux monitor can't connect to it (Monitor won't take HDMI, only DVI). Nouveau is better as well, but it has a crashing problem with PCI passthrough apparently.

Last edited by Rojikku (2016-12-05 21:57:24)

#7 2016-12-09 21:39:03

Rojikku

Okay. Nouveau is still crashing, I've set it to noaccel=1 and I have not, YET, had a crash. But unfortunately it has the same issues the regular NVIDIA driver does now that I've passed that, so I see no advantages to staying on the open source one. The NVIDIA one is pretty great because I can save an xorg.conf with my monitor layout instead of having to manualyl set it each time.
Nouveau was working fine with accel on yesterday, but I don't believe I ever opened chrome. Meaning nouveau, my 660ti, accel, and chromium are related in my crash.

Board footer