You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-11 12:50:27

dunek

Ext. monitor disconnecting / not being recognised on Optimus laptop

The laptop in question is an Acer Nitro VN7-792G with a GTX 960M and an Intel HD Graphics 530, the Monitor is a Samsung U28E590D (28", 3840x2160).

A couple of months ago my external monitors resolution stopped being recognized. In addition it wouldn't even be recognized unless I reconnected it at least once after booting (doesn't matter of the monitor is connected or not during boot).
For some stupid reason I didn't bother investigating what package upgrade caused this issue back then.
With 1:2.99.917+740+g9ac7a33-1 xf86-video-intel however my external monitor doesn't work at all anymore So I'm on 1:2.99.917+736+gbde9460-1 at the moment.

I use Gnome 3 with xorg.

I can use the 3840x2160 resolution in Windows without any problems.

Another problem, which I assume is related, is that simple SDL program sometimes crashes my second monitor.
The HDMI max TMDS frequency 300000KHz lines are output every time I launch the program(it takes a couple of times). The resizing framebuffer to 1920x1080 was output when the second monitor shut down.
All lines afterwards are when I unplugged and replugged the monitor.
The systemd journal and Xorg.log then only contain messages about the resolution changing, no errors1 2. dmesg doesn't output anything.

Things that I have tried so far:
Adding undetected resolutions
I can add the resolution, but when I try to use it, the monitor just gets disabled.

Blacklisting the Intel modules:
I rarely run this laptop on battery, so I thought I could only use the Nvidia cards. It seems however that the Nvidia card relies on the Intel card for its output.

I don't know what else I could do or if there are any other log files I could check.

Board footer