You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-08 16:27:25

Sublime2k

[Solved] Kernel mode setting stopped working after game crash

Hello, I've been having problems with KMS since yesterday night and I don't know what else to try to fix it.

I have Radeon HD 7850 GPU and 27'' 2560x1440 monitor. I'm using kernel drivers (mesa). I was playing Portal 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel earlier that day and everything worked fine. When I tried launching Outlast, the game froze with sound looping. I couldn't close the window or switch to tty so I had to do a hard reset. This is where the problems begin.

GRUB loads normally, I choose Arch Linux and after "starting version 232" message the screen goes blank. The same thing happened when I tried running the fallback image. At first I thought there was a problem with my SSD so I wanted to run fsck. I tried booting Arch from live USB but this also failed, the screen just went blank. However, I should note that memory test and hardware info from live USB worked fine, so it's not a problem with live USB.

After some reading on Arch wiki, I edited kernel parameters from GRUB, removed quiet and added fsck.mode=force, then proceeded booting. Fsck ran successfully and it seemed that there are no problems with my SSD. At this point I read Arch wiki some more and decided to try booting with nomodeset kernel parameter. This time instead of blank screen I got a blinking cursor (and no text), but at least it was something. Upon trying to enter tty1 I get the message "*ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!" which is to be expected because of disabled modesetting. In tty2 I get a login prompt and I can log in. Of course, I can't start X, but at least I can access logs, use pacman, etc.

I should note that I upgraded Linux kernel from 4.11 to 4.12 around 18:00 earlier that day and the problems started around 23:00. For this reason, I thought maybe the new kernel is causing problems so I downgraded linux and linux-headers back to 4.11 and rebooted, but that didn't help. I also tried installing xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu (separately, of course), but that didn't help either. I tried rebuilding mkinitcpio with and without radeon module and with and without autodetect hook, but that didn't help either.

Now I tried booting into my Windows 7 partition and when I got to the login screen, it was full of artifacts. At this point I should note that my GPU had a similar problem with artifacts few months ago and I removed it from my PC for 1 day, then put it back in and the problems were gone.

With all these signs, I'm confused and having a hard time coming to a conclusion of what exactly is causing the problem. I'm getting artifacts in Windows 7, KMS and X don't work at all in Linux and tty works just fine in Linux. Is it safe to assume that the GPU is defective even though tty works? I mean, CLI or not, it's still a video signal from potentially defective GPU, isn't it? Or could it be a software problem? I currently don't have access to another GPU to test it out, but I'm considering buying a new cheap GPU to test it out. However, that will have to wait until next week probably.

When I get back home, I will post logs from pacman, X, journalctl and dmesg. Which keywords should I look out for in journalctl and dmesg?

I'm looking forward to advice on what to do in this situation.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sublime2k (2016-12-12 02:14:29)

#2 2016-12-10 14:43:24

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Solved] Kernel mode setting stopped working after game crash

This does sound like a hardware issue,just post full logs (except pacman log) .

In console mode linux uses a framebuffer to write to screen.It's a simple mode that doesn't require anything fancy from the graphics card.

(A 30 year old graphics card would probably be powerful enough to drive that mode).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-12-12 00:22:32

Sublime2k

Here they are:

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/Wx7aybpZ
journalctl: http://pastebin.com/Rc3t0e9S http://pastebin.com/qxFNs7Gk
xorg: http://pastebin.com/FNp01szs
pacman: http://pastebin.com/isDRQnJy

I might get a chance to test my GPU in my friend's PC next week and test his GPU in my own PC so that might shed some light on the problem as well.

#4 2016-12-12 02:15:20

Sublime2k

Well, I decided to risk and try baking my GPU. I did it at 190°C for 8.5 minutes and it solved the problem.

I know it's only a temporary solution and I need a new GPU, but I hope it will hold at least until I get everything else sorted.

Last edited by Sublime2k (2016-12-12 02:40:49)

Board footer