#2 2006-05-28 20:08:57

lucke

Re: How to install something from the AUR

Please read through that.

#3 2006-05-28 22:40:27

sf.

That helps alot, thanks

Unfortunately now I'm getting a 404 error on the Sourceforge mirror I can connect to. Ohwell

#4 2006-05-29 12:31:24

arooaroo
Website

I didn't follow the thread, but there were discussions recently about sourceforge downloads - I think there are sometimes problems when trying to download automatically, because it often redirects you to select a mirror, rather than just downloading straight away.

Still, you can get around this. Say you have a directory called ~/pkgbuilds/pcman/ which contains the pcman pkgbuild (assuming you've untarred it). Fire up your browser and follow the URL for the package sources (which in this instance, are at SF). Select your mirror and then save this file in ~/pkgbuilds/pcman/ (or whereever you have saved your pkgbuild).

Then, from your console, run 'makepkg'. Makepkg will check if the source is already available, which it is now is because you've just saved it there. So, it'll get on with the remaining task of building the package.

#5 2006-05-29 12:48:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

arooaroo wrote:

I didn't follow the thread, but there were discussions recently about sourceforge downloads - I think there are sometimes problems when trying to download automatically, because it often redirects you to select a mirror, rather than just downloading straight away.

It's more that some sf mirrors are more reliable than others, and their auto-redirect system can land you one one that's temporarily unresponsive.

My favourite fix for this, which has been posted around here a few times, is to find the ip address of one you know to be reliable and add it to /etc/hosts like this:

193.1.193.66    dl.sourceforge.net

That particular address is HEAnet, my local mirror for everything, which has never given me a single problem.

#6 2006-05-29 19:24:01

sud_crow
Website

My favourite fix for this, which has been posted around here a few times, is to find the ip address of one you know to be reliable and add it to /etc/hosts like this:
Code:
193.1.193.66    dl.sourceforge.net

That particular address is HEAnet, my local mirror for everything, which has never given me a single problem.

Lol, I use that one too! Go Ireland! smile

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer