You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-20 02:59:55

iriidium

Plymouth causes boot to hang

After some searching I can't seem to find a solution to this problem...

After installing Plymouth per the instructions here  I rebooted and everything went A-OK! I changed the theme in `/usr/plymouth/plymouthd.conf` and ran

sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R arch-glow

After rebooting I get the splash screen then I get a couple messages on the screen and it hangs. The messages I get are ones I've seen before and never bothered with becuause they don't cause issues normally. I still get the messages if I disable splash in the bootloader, and it boots without issue. I'm not sure how to get a log of a previous boot, or if that's even possible.

FWIW here's the messages I get:

starting version 232
[11.736299] ideapad_laptop: timeout in read_ec_cmd
[11.852925] ideapad_laptop: timeout in read_ec_cmd
[11.959602] ideapad_laptop: timeout in write_ec_cmd
[12.812870] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train [i915]] *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting
[12.860421] [drm:intel_dp_start_link_train [i915]] *ERROR* failed to train DP, aborting

Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance! As more information is required I'll edit it in here and post into another comment.

#2 2016-12-20 20:43:26

JohnBobSmith

Re: Plymouth causes boot to hang

What happens if you manually re-build the initramfs with mkinitcpio -p linux? What's your bootloader config? And which bootloader (GRUB? systemd-boot?) are you using? Note that for my plymouth default themes, I do not have arch-glow:

[jbs@dmb-gaming-laptop ~]$ ls /usr/share/plymouth/themes/
details  fade-in  glow  script  solar  spinfinity  spinner  text  tribar
[jbs@dmb-gaming-laptop ~]$ 

If this is a custom theme, we will need those files too. smile

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#3 2016-12-20 22:25:50

iriidium

Here's the output of

[sterling@archer ~]$ sudo mkinitcpio -p linux > mkinitcpio.log

mkinitcpio.log:

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 4.8.13-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 4.8.13-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [plymouth]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> Image generation successful

After posting this I removed everything associated with Plymouth from my system and started over, leaving the default theme (spinner), with the same issue. Before a meeting today I tried to view the boot messages as my laptop was booting with Plymouth, to see where it failed. I hit ESC and it showed me the boot messages and it booted fine (i.e. Plymouth not showing at all, but still being loaded).

I'm wondering if it's an issue with lightdm-plymouth, gonna switch to regular lightdm and try again.

Another question (that copious Googling hasn't answered yet): is it possible to view previous boot logs? In Ubuntu I used to be able to see the previous 5-or-so logs, which would be really helpful in this situation: boot with plymouth until it hangs, then reboot w/o it and see where it hung?

Would that be possible in Arch? Thanks!!!

#4 2016-12-20 22:54:41

JohnBobSmith

you can use journaltctl to query the logs, and the -b switch together with --list-boots to see specific boots. We still dont know which bootloader you are using by the way. wink

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#5 2016-12-20 23:49:55

iriidium

My apologies, Using systemd-boot, here's my config:

title	Arch Linux
linux 	/vmlinuz-linux
initrd	/initramfs-linux.img
options	root=/dev/sda2 rw quiet splash

#6 2016-12-21 03:08:11

JohnBobSmith

I am using systemd-boot too, and that looks fine. I'm suspecting that you are trying to use a non-existent theme at the moment. What is your output of

ls /usr/share/plymouth/themes/

? See post #2, on my system with a working plymouth, there is no arch-glow theme.

EDIT: What does your configuration look like? What does  cat /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf read?

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-12-21 03:10:11)

#7 2016-12-22 03:25:26

iriidium

Here's my themes list:

[sterling@archer ~]$ ls /usr/share/plymouth/themes/
arch-glow  fade-in  script  spinfinity  text
details    glow     solar   spinner     tribar

And my plymouth.conf:

# Distribution defaults. Changes to this file will get overwritten during
# upgrades.
[Daemon]
Theme=spinner
ShowDelay=5

In my original post I only put arch-glow because I was using a different theme, which I did have installed and listed in /usr/share/plymouth/themes, I've seen reinstalled and still have the issue on the default theme (spinner). Also had the issue before changing themes on my first install. I'm going to boot again and let it hang then check the boot log using the method you mentioned, then post the output here.

#8 2016-12-22 16:55:31

iriidium

Alright it seems to be an intermittent issue. I booted last night and it went fine, booted this morning and it hung, then later today and it went fine. Looking at journalctl -b-1 I found that the issue is where I suspected: lightdm-plymouth:

Dec 22 10:12:39 archer systemd[1]: lightdm-plymouth.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer dbus[433]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Accounts' unit='accounts-daemon.service'
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: Reached target User and Group Name Lookups.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: Starting Accounts Service...
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer accounts-daemon[562]: started daemon version 0.6.42
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer dbus[433]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.Accounts'
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: Started Accounts Service.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: lightdm-plymouth.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: lightdm-plymouth.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: lightdm-plymouth.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Dec 22 10:12:41 archer systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.

For some reason it's failing to start lightdm, but not always. I'm gonna switch back to the regular lightdm, instead of lightdm-plymouth.

As another side note, is there a way to suppress the error messages I was getting before? They still interrupt the splash, even on a good boot.

Edit: Disabled lightdm-plymouth and enabled lightdm, now I don't get a splash at all and it still hangs:

Dec 22 12:06:40 archer systemd[1]: plymouth-quit.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 22 12:06:40 archer systemd[1]: Failed to start Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen.
Dec 22 12:06:40 archer systemd[1]: plymouth-quit.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 22 12:06:40 archer systemd[1]: plymouth-quit.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 22 12:06:40 archer systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
Dec 22 12:06:52 archer NetworkManager[434]: <info>  [1482426412.2140] device (wlp8s0): supplicant interface state: inactive -> scanning
Dec 22 12:08:10 archer systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Dec 22 12:08:12 archer systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Dec 22 12:08:12 archer systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 22 12:08:12 archer systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Dec 22 12:08:13 archer systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Dec 22 12:08:13 archer systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.

I'm assuming the hang now is because plymouth is trying to hand off to lightdm-plymouth and failing (just a guess from the first line of that copy)? I have both logs saved, let me know if you want the full logs.

Last edited by iriidium (2016-12-22 17:16:37)

#9 2017-02-04 05:12:38

SandAngel

I have the same problem here. You can remove splash in kernel parameter and it work without splash screen on boot up. Or use sddm instead.

#10 2017-07-28 09:07:46

0dd17y

Hi all,

I also have the same problem with Plymouth ("Failed to start Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen"). Boot screen shows up properly but the process does not go past it. Has anyone resolved this issue? I am using GRUB2 and trying to set up a splash screen that precedes getty auto-login (no DM/WM). Any help is appreciated. It does work without splash argument in kernel params.

Edit: If I replace udev hook with systemd and accordingly plymouth to sd-plymouth then boot process does not hang anymore. However instead of a theme some gray-ish background with white squares is displayed (attached image). Any advices? Also noticed that if I set delay to any value except 0 then it shows properly but the boot process hangs. I would appreciate any kind of advice. Thank you.

https://image.ibb.co/hdiLKk/Screen_Shot … _01_PM.png

Moderator edit:  Converted over sized image to url. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Last edited by ewaller (2017-07-28 13:46:24)

#11 2017-07-28 13:47:12

ewaller
Administrator

0dd17y,
Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  Please be aware of our policies (linked in my edit above).
Thanks

Last edited by ewaller (2017-07-28 13:47:42)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer