You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-22 15:27:58

Chocopuff

Native pacman Support for Parallel Download (and maybe install?)

Pacman doesn't have support for simultaneous downloading. Think like what apt-get can do. After looking into this, I realize that Powerpill exists. However I think such a feature should be standard and incorporated into pacman natively. If we were to try to implement such a feature, would it get good reception? Would the Arch developers allow or consider to add such a feature to pacman?

#2 2016-12-22 15:35:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Native pacman Support for Parallel Download (and maybe install?)

You might ask on the mail lists.  You are more likely to catch their attention there.  Allan pops in here often and has significant insight as to all things pacman.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-12-22 15:37:18

ugjka
Website

Why? To increase the load on mirrors? From my experience pacman already maxes out my connection (20Mbit), I see no point in doing paralel downloads

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#4 2016-12-22 15:54:57

apg
Developer

#5 2016-12-22 15:57:05

Chocopuff

I don't think it would increase load on mirrors. If anything, it would spread out the load across mirrors. Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking. I was thinking of an implementation such that different packages are downloaded from different mirrors simultaneous. It does not decrease the number of packages that you have to end up downloading.

Yeah, I was also worried about whether such an implementation would increase load on mirrors and therefore be frowned upon. However, since Powerpill exists, I am inclined to believe that ppl are generally alright with it? Not sure. Point of this thread anyways big_smile

Edit:

@apg yeah, I saw that bug thread. I'm not sure what the current stance on the issue is. It's been 6 years since 2010.

Last edited by Chocopuff (2016-12-22 16:00:28)

Board footer