You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-24 17:40:52

whoops

When upload, when not? Non-technical FAQ?

Hi!

So, I've had a few PKGBUILDs lying around for a while and I haven't uploaded a single one - mainly because I'm never sure if they're "clean enough" and if i'd find the time to maintain them well enough. Maybe I'm confused because it's kind of git... just... without git...

Is there an FAQ somewhere that I missed?
The wiki is pretty clear when it comes to the technical issues, but I didn't find much concerning the general workflow / community guidelines etc...

Just some examples:
- How sure should I be that my package works / is formally correct / doesn't set other peoples PCs on fire?
- Is it expected that the uploader puts a lot of effort into finding potential problems (p.E. test package on a different machine without preexisting configurations for the package) or can I usually just upload what works for me and assume that other users will be as careful as is generally suggested with the AUR packages (and find / inform / correct via comments if there's something wrong)?
- When in doubt - upload so others can improve it or not?
- If I don't want to maintain an orphan I briefly used (and updated / fixed), is it ok to adopt + update + abandon again right away or is it more appropriate to just post the updated PKGBUILD?

And there are probably other non-technical things worth knowing...

#2 2016-12-24 17:48:04

ewaller
Administrator

Re: When upload, when not? Non-technical FAQ?

Well, One can always post them in this subforum and ask for comments.
I suggest ensuring it builds in a Clean Chroot

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-12-24 22:59:57

Lone_Wolf

Re: When upload, when not? Non-technical FAQ?

- If I don't want to maintain an orphan I briefly used (and updated / fixed), is it ok to adopt + update + abandon again right away or is it more appropriate to just post the updated PKGBUILD?

I think that's a matter of personal preference.

My personal preference is to adopt only if i'm willing to maintain a package for atleast several months.

I only adopt packages

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer