You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-20 21:55:00

Rewired87

SSD + HDD System Not Working

I have never dealt with an SSD/HDD system before, so pardon me if this is cringe material for you experts

SDD is /dev/sda, HDD is /dev/sdb
Arch Linux root at /dev/sda3, Linux dedicated partiton (for programs, etc. not wanted on SSD) on /dev/sdb3
Both partitions are ext4

I have / mounted on the SSD, with /var /tmp and /home symlinked to corresponsing directories on the HDD partition 3.
When I set those up, the system would no longer boot.
Is there a better way to do this, mount binds maybe?
Thank you, I appreciate any advice you can give.

We hope as a new society rises from the ashes that you will forge a better world. A world that values the free people, a world where greed is not encouraged, a world that belongs to us again, a world changed forever.  ~Mr. Robot

#2 2016-12-20 22:25:37

core2idiot

Re: SSD + HDD System Not Working

The last time I had such a setup I used bind mounts instead of symlinks.  I also had all of the bind mounts setup before I booted for the first time.

/proc /chroot/mysql/proc none defaults,bind 0 0

thanks, Core2idiot

#3 2016-12-20 22:55:17

Rewired87

core2idiot wrote:

The last time I had such a setup I used bind mounts instead of symlinks.  I also had all of the bind mounts setup before I booted for the first time.

/proc /chroot/mysql/proc none defaults,bind 0 0

thanks, Core2idiot

Bind mounts, that's what I thought. Thanks!
I can probably find a way to reconfigure. Worst case scenario, if I have to reinstall, all I had installed was gnome. No big deal.
Happy Holidays, my friend!

We hope as a new society rises from the ashes that you will forge a better world. A world that values the free people, a world where greed is not encouraged, a world that belongs to us again, a world changed forever.  ~Mr. Robot

#4 2016-12-25 00:09:06

adamlau

I have a few mixed systems so I am not sure what the issue is. Can you not set everything up in /etc/fstab?

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

Board footer