You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-28 12:13:55

ArcherIlyas
Website

Setting Forum mailer Options

Hello Archers, I'm new to the Forum, and I tried every option in my profile Privacy regarding e-mails, What should I do,  I want to enable forum users to able to send me private messages,  but I don't need to receive on my E-mail anything from the Forum itself instead on my control panel.

many thanks in Advance.

#2 2016-12-28 12:35:06

ayekat

Re: Setting Forum mailer Options

The software used for the Arch Linux forums is FluxBB, and there is no "private message" feature in it. That's what mails are for.

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2016-12-28 16:13:29

ArcherIlyas
Website

ayekat wrote:

The software used for the Arch Linux forums is FluxBB, and there is no "private message" feature in it. That's what mails are for.

scrn.png

here I can send a private message to you behind your website there's a email.button smile.That what I meant

#4 2016-12-28 16:15:16

ArcherIlyas
Website

Any why I got it and set my options as I want better not to subscribe  to many forums, because every forums I subscribe to every time anybody post a new thread it send me an E-mail.

#5 2016-12-28 16:17:37

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

That's a mailto link, it opens your email client*. You can either hide your email address, but allow people to send you emails via the forum, or you can display your email and let people email you directly. Or you can hide your email and disallow emailing at all.

You can configure this on the profile screen: https://bbs.archlinux.org/profile.php?section=privacy

* Actually, may not be a mailto link, as a mod, I think I can direct email anyone regardless of their setting.

ArcherIlyas wrote:

Any why I got it and set my options as I want better not to subscribe  to many forums, because every forums I subscribe to every time anybody post a new thread it send me an E-mail.

Your subscription notification settings are on the same page.

Last edited by WorMzy (2016-12-28 16:20:41)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2016-12-28 16:21:29

ewaller
Administrator

... And, these forums don't send out much in the way of messages.  Only if you subscribe to a topic will you get automated messages; you can also unsubscribe.  Password reset messages are initiated by you.  I cannot think of any other instances.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2016-12-28 16:23:13

ayekat

ArcherIlyas wrote:

here I can send a private message to you behind your website there's a email.button smile.That what I meant

Yes, and as the link suggests, it will send me an e-mail, not a "private message" on these forums or something.
If you want the same thing for yourself, you can go to the "Privacy" section in your profile configuration, and select "Hide your email address but allow form email." - this way, people will be able to send you a mail via the web form, without you having to disclose your e-mail address publicly.

because every forums I subscribe to every time anybody post a new thread it send me an E-mail.

Well, that's exactly the idea behind "subscribing" smile
You are not forced to subscribe to threads or forums, although it is considered polite to subscribe to at least the threads where you have posted a message, so that you are notified of people replying to you¹.

___
¹ An exception to this rule would perhaps be the "Hello Everyone!" and "Your favourite xyz" kind of threads that will usually go on forever and flood your mailbox - I usually unsubscribe after ~25 posts after mine.

--edit--
Wow, ninja'd by two people - that's new.

Last edited by ayekat (2016-12-28 16:26:01)

pkgshackscfgblag

#8 2016-12-28 16:59:35

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The forums does not have a private messaging feature. It sends an email. The recipient of the email sees something like this,

ArcherIlyas from Arch Linux Forums has sent you a message. You can reply to ArcherIlyas by replying to this email.

That is followed by the message.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#9 2016-12-29 18:59:33

ArcherIlyas
Website

Many thanks to all of you friends, I got it.

Board footer