You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-03 14:35:39

alan1245

HP Probook 4530s - strange behavior of headphone jack detection

Hi,

I know my problem is little bit off-topic because it's not directly connected to Arch, but since I'm running Arch I want to ask if there is any possible solution on the OS level to supress certain (most likely) hardware problem.

Problem description:
yesterday I renewed CPU's and GPU's thermal paste on my Probook 4530s, however after reassembling again I encountered a strange behavior. Everything works fine except sound control.
I'm controlling sound through alsamixer. When I have auto-mute mode enabled, then when I have headphones unplugged speakers are muted and when I connect them, output goes to speakers, but nothing goes to headphones.
When I disable auto-mute mode, then output should go to both headphones (when connected) and speakers, but it goes only to speakers in both cases though.

It seems like hardware responsible for identifying state of headphones (plugged/unplugged) is reporting exactly inverted situation than the one which actually arises (however only when auto-mute is enabled, in second case it doesn't make sense again).
Most probably I damaged some part of hardware with static eletricity although I tried to remember to frequently ground myself.
I already checked twice that everything is inside connected as it should be but problem stays.
Also I tried different live distros to eliminate that problem is connected with some Arch package update.

Question:
Since sound itself works fine and regarding the behavior when auto-mute is enabled, I asked myself if there is a way to tell the system basically this: "if headphones are connected, evaluate it as disconnected and if headphones are disconnected, evaluate it as connected". Such setting could theoretically inverse the inversed recognition, thus it could cause correct behavior.

Is something like this possible or is it utopic idea?
Or do you have some other suggestions how to solve this problem?
(Do you think this could be caused by something different than I mentioned?)

Thanks, Alan

#2 2017-11-28 19:19:21

archimandrite

Re: HP Probook 4530s - strange behavior of headphone jack detection

Hi Alan,

I'm having exactly the same problem with Arch on my ProBook 4530s. Unfortunately, I suspect that the fact we're both running Arch is just a coincidence, and that the problem lies in hardware - I recently had the laptop open to install a new DC power socket, so some harm may have come to the audio jack board then...

I'm curious, did you manage to track down a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by archimandrite (2017-11-28 19:20:39)

Board footer