You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-02 18:34:12

sarcokiller

Libreoffice icons missing [Gnome]

Hi all,
I've searched about this for about 2 hours but i had no luck to find a solution. I've just made a fresh install of arch and i've installed Libreoffice through the command:

pacman -S libreoffice

When i open a file i have no icons in the topbar and in the gnome favourites application bar. (as you can see in the following image)

http://imgur.com/fGxK71b

If i add from the all apps section a libre office app to favourites, the icon is showing but when i click on the icon another empty icon shows up. ( following image)

http://imgur.com/OtS4VXk

It happens with stock icons theme too, however I'm using Paper icons theme.

I hope that someone can help me.

Last edited by sarcokiller (2017-01-03 01:53:51)

#2 2017-01-02 20:44:19

c00ter

Re: Libreoffice icons missing [Gnome]

Hello @sarcokiller and welcome to Arch Linux.

You do not state what your 2 hour search entailed. Since you have a fresh Arch and GNOME DE, are you aware that GNOME 3.22 now defaults to the Wayland backend rather than X? This may cause a wide variety of problems, including such as yours. The solution for most users is to login using the X backend.

Regards

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2017-01-03 00:29:35

sarcokiller

c00ter wrote:

Hello @sarcokiller and welcome to Arch Linux.

You do not state what your 2 hour search entailed. Since you have a fresh Arch and GNOME DE, are you aware that GNOME 3.22 now defaults to the Wayland backend rather than X? This may cause a wide variety of problems, including such as yours. The solution for most users is to login using the X backend.

Regards

Thanks for the welcome and for the reply.

My 2 hours research were about gnome that seems to have some issues with libre office suite. I've found some users reports bugs on libre office and icons but seems to be a pretty old problem. Now I really didn't know about this backend news, I'm doing some research about how to login using X backend and I will EDIT this post if I'll find a solution. In the meanwhile if someone can help me explaining how to try this I will appreciate a lot the help.

EDIT: (I have installed all xorg packages needed before gnome following a tutorial old by 3 months)

EDIT 2: After a reboot all works... I didn't touch anything... That's really funny... Thanks a lot again for your reply.

EDIT 3: After another reboot the icons error comes again... sad

Any help?

Last edited by sarcokiller (2017-01-03 01:54:46)

#4 2017-01-03 03:22:56

c00ter

If you are using a login manager (GDM, LightDM...) there should be a selection at login. In GDM it is a gear icon that provides a drop-down choice of GNOME or GNOME w/Wayland. The standard GNOME choice uses Xorg. Sorry I cannot be more specific--I tend to be more Plasma-centric nowadays.

Hopefully this will help.

Regards

Last edited by c00ter (2017-01-03 03:25:01)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#5 2017-01-03 10:24:35

sarcokiller

c00ter wrote:

If you are using a login manager (GDM, LightDM...) there should be a selection at login. In GDM it is a gear icon that provides a drop-down choice of GNOME or GNOME w/Wayland. The standard GNOME choice uses Xorg. Sorry I cannot be more specific--I tend to be more Plasma-centric nowadays.

Hopefully this will help.

Regards

Thanks a lot I did it and seems to be ok. However i noticed that sometimes went well event without xorg... Can i ask to you if is better using xorg or the newest wayland?

#6 2017-01-03 17:37:14

c00ter

Xorg is tried and true, but old like me. Wayland is the ugh future.

Regards

Board footer