You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-03 07:00:15

srulop

What is the suggested package for OpenCL on Intel?

Hi,

I may be missing something, but I'm wondering why the intel-opencl-runtime package is in the AUR? Is there some other, newer, package that allows to run OpenCL on Intel in the official repositories?
Otherwise, it's strange that such a widely needed package is in AUR, and even depends on another AUR package (ncurses5-compat-libs) itself.

Also: what is the way to request any OpenCL runtime in PKGBUILD as a dependency, be it Nvidia, AMD, or Intel?

#2 2017-01-03 16:09:49

Lone_Wolf

Re: What is the suggested package for OpenCL on Intel?

Also: what is the way to request any OpenCL runtime in PKGBUILD as a dependency, be it Nvidia, AMD, or Intel?

Have it depend on opencl-driver .

-----------------------

The package lists custom:intel as license, maybe the license doesn't allow distributing ?
Otoh, maybe there are no TUs interested in opencl on intel gpu.

There is an intel opensource software for opencl called beignet.
Afaik it is developed outside of mesa, doesn't support opencl 2  and is not compatible with llvm versions newer then 3.8 .
I have never seen an arch package for it, nor noticed anyone asking for/about it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-01-03 19:18:00

srulop

Thanks!

Strangely, neither intel-opencl-runtime nor beignet provide opencl-driver. They provide opencl and opencl-intel, respectively. Only the AMD/Nvidia packages provide opencl-driver.

Is there a reason for that? Is there a way to make a dependency on opencl-driver -or- the Intel stuff?

#4 2017-01-03 21:19:23

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I can confirm that beignet does work with my skylake igpu, however like Lone_Wolf says it does not support (yet) opencl 2, but I've seen that it is being worked on.

I may be mistaken but I think intel-opencl-runtime is more targeted at running opencl on the cpu and beignet is for running things on the gpu.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2017-01-03 21:38:05

Lone_Wolf

In mesa 13.0.2-2 the way mesa on AL handles opencl & vulkan drivers was changed.
The opencl & vulkan toolchains now allow multiple opencl / vulkan drivers to coexist on the same system.
Both opencl-driver & vulkan-driver were introduced then.

Possibly the maintainers of the AUR intel opencl programs haven't adjusted their packages to this change yet.

Is there a way to make a dependency on opencl-driver -or- the Intel stuff?

Not that i know, easiest solution is to edit the intel pkgbuilds to provide opencl-driver and then rebuild them.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2017-01-03 22:18:48

srulop

Yes, Lone_Wolf, that makes sense. Thanks.

Board footer