You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-12 13:47:18

l1nuxfr3@k

[SOLVED] Arch logo in ASCII text on boot? + Plymouth problems

Hello everyone! Sorry if I have left this post in a wrong place here on the forum. I was quite unsure where this kind of post should be sorted so I decided to take the "Newbie Corner" since I am new here. I have installed the newest version of Arch Linux on my PC and had quite a fun while installing it and setting it up. Now I have a beautiful customized GNOME interface with plenty of tweaks, LightDM display manager with lightdm-pantheon-greeter from AUR.  The build of my kernel is: 4.6.2-1-ARCH. My current version of systemd is 230. Everything seemed to be working just right! But, then I decided to customize the logo of my OS. I loved some of the packages from AUR, and I have tried a few of them but Plymouth showed really buggy and unstable so I had to remove it. Generally, it wouldn't boot my system from time to time without a reason. I tried different methods but ended up with random results. Firstly, systemd-analyze command blamed Plymouth for a long start. To be exact, "Plymouth Terminate Script" was on hold. I even tried to stop it right from the gdm init script which failed. GDM Plymouth patch didn't work; LightDM couldn't cope with Plymouth as well. I would have a logo screen showing up, then disappearing after 3-4 seconds, then just a black screen.

This was my mkinitcpio.conf file (at least, important part of it big_smile) :

HOOKS="base udev plymouth autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard"

My grub configuration was setup this way:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1080
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

This worked. At least for the logo. But the system wouldn't boot.
Firstly it was the terminate script that didn't work.
And after enabling gdm-plymouth.service I had this problem

[  OK  ] Started Session c1 of user gdm.
[  OK  ] Started User Manager for UID 120.
         Stopping User Manager for UID 120...
[  OK  ] Stopped User Manager for UID 120...
[  OK  ] Removed slice User Slice of gdm.
[  OK  ] Created slice User Slice of gdm.
         Starting User Manager for UID 120...

Appearantly, there was a loop going on after Plymouth was terminated.
From time to time it would boot, but systemd-analyze would say "boot not completed" , or something like that..

Finally, I ended up giving up. I decided to remove Plymouth, switch to LightDM and create myself an Arch ASCII logo
(which I did, and it looks awesome) .. I have a script called printlogo which does the thing.

But I just cannot find a way to print it on the screen, during boot.
Especially with other text such as "Starting version 230.." removed..

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 loglevel=3"

I have also disabled fsck messages so now I have a black screen and the system boots successfully, really fast.

I tried creating my own systemd service, but I didn't like the result. The logo wouldn't show. I tried writing to /dev/tty1 directly from root and it did work so I tried on the scripts and NOTHING. Blank black screen.

Then I thought that maybe there is a way to add my own hook xD
I guess the rules are different, cus I had a kernel panic thingy showing up big_smile

Sorry for the long post. My question is.. What should I do now? smile
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by l1nuxfr3@k (2016-06-12 21:09:58)

Proud Arch user, programmer & guitarist.

#2 2016-06-12 15:00:56

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Arch logo in ASCII text on boot? + Plymouth problems

I believe that the logo during boot is not compatible with KMS https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … de_setting
Which is enabled in Arch Linux

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-06-12 16:51:15

l1nuxfr3@k

Thanks for reply! Fortunately, I've figured out a way to solve this problem with Plymouth so no need for ASCII big_smile.
It is a quick fix but it works like charm. For everyone having this problem (logo is there but after logo disappears, you end up with a black screen; boot.log says "Waiting for Terminate Plymouth Script" or something like that) , here is the fix:

> sudo nano /lib/initcpio/hooks/plymouth
( or choose any other text editor )

find this part...

run_latehook(){
        /usr/bin/plymouth update-root-fs --new-root-dir=/new_root     
}

add     "/usr/bin/plymouth quit --retain-splash"
and make it look like this:

run_latehook(){
        /usr/bin/plymouth update-root-fs --new-root-dir=/new_root     
        /usr/bin/plymouth quit --retain-splash
}

Then run:
> sudo mkinitcpio -p linux

The main reason why we had that "hold" problem during boot is because systemd had been waiting for plymouth-quit.service to complete which never happens! So I excluded it from systemd init scripts and added it to the run_latehook()  of the plymouth hook smile

let's exclude plymouth-quit.service

> sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

then omit plymouth-quit.service from the "[Unit] After" and "[Unit] Conflicts" segments (if any).
Once that is done, you can simply mask this service using systemctl

> sudo systemctl mask plymouth-quit.service

but what I did is simply removed it (with a backup copy somewhere in my home directory - always make backups big_smile )

Thats it! Reboot and you are okay.
This topic should now be marked as SOLVED.

Last edited by l1nuxfr3@k (2016-06-12 16:52:51)

Proud Arch user, programmer & guitarist.

#4 2016-06-12 16:58:17

Slithery
Administrator

l1nuxfr3@k wrote:

This topic should now be marked as SOLVED.

Go on then...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2016-06-12 16:59:17

TheChickenMan

Plymouth includes a service for starting with lightdm (lightdm-plymouth.service) but plymouth does seem to run kind of buggy on Arch. You might want to try removing "quiet" from your boot command line while debugging this.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#6 2017-01-08 16:00:58

sail1943

l1nuxfr3@k wrote:

Thanks for reply! Fortunately, I've figured out a way to solve this problem with Plymouth so no need for ASCII big_smile.
It is a quick fix but it works like charm. For everyone having this problem (logo is there but after logo disappears, you end up with a black screen; boot.log says "Waiting for Terminate Plymouth Script" or something like that) , here is the fix:

> sudo nano /lib/initcpio/hooks/plymouth

I have the gdm login problem too after setting up plymouth as the wiki wrote. And inspired by your answer, I find out that I can just enable plymouth-start.service and gdm-plymouth.service. There is no need to add the plymouth to the HOOK section of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf which may cause this problem.

Board footer