You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-15 17:23:46

stecco

VLC problem - VLSub

Hi there. It's some months that I can't download subtitles with vlc. Today I have some time to try to solve the problem.

Looking in the internet, I've found this topic where it is treated a similar issue:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=136182

Briefly, the problem should be that OpenSubtitles.org has apparently updated their servers. That uncovered latent bugs in the very dumb HTTP support of the VLSub extension.

To work around the problem, Rémi Denis-Courmont said:

1) Look for the file named lua/extensions/VLSub.luac.
2) Open that file in a binary or hexadecimal editor. (DO NOT USE a text editor.)
3) Look for the character sequence "HTTP/1.1" (without quotes).
4) Replace the last one by a zero: "HTTP/1.0".
5) Repeat the procedure; there should be a second occurence in the file.
6) Save the file.
7) (Re)start VLC.

Unfortunately I'd never used a binary or hexadecimal editor. I tried download emacs but its really hard for me, I am afraid to compromise fundamental files in an attempt to solve the problem... without being certain that it can be the right solution.

Have any of you has been found in the same situation? How did you solve?

#2 2016-12-15 17:39:07

Slithery
Administrator

Re: VLC problem - VLSub

Why emacs? It's a text editor not a binary/hex editor (no flaming please, I know there probably is a way to do it with emacs).

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=hex+editor

If your unsure of what you're doing then just backup the file before you edit it, you can always copy the original back if you mess up.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2016-12-15 17:42:27

ewaller
Administrator

As much as I love emacs and use it every day, I absolutely would not recommend it to someone in search of a simple hex editor.   There are a couple dedicated editors in community, try pacman -Ss hexedit

Edit: I get distracted for a few minutes only to be snaked by slithery.
Edit

I know there probably is a way to do it with emacs

Yep smile

Last edited by ewaller (2016-12-15 17:44:21)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-01-08 09:40:15

verge-36

Thanks for the info. I've been wondering why VLSub wasn't working for me. Works like a charm now smile

#5 2017-01-09 12:53:28

ghus
Banned

Sorry for my newbism , I did not find how to make it work with a binary/hex editor , but installing the vlsub-git from aur , it works .
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vlsub-git/

Too I did not have the file  lua/extensions/VLSub.luac , but only /.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/userdata/vlsub/vlsub_conf.xml

Last edited by ghus (2017-01-09 12:57:45)

Board footer