You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-10 00:56:16

Salkay

[BUG FILED] Correct sub-pixel rendering in java applications

With the recent death of infinality, I've reverted to vanilla freetype and fonts, etc. I also followed instructions to get fonts looking reasonable again. Specifically, I created `/etc/fonts/local.conf` as per here. I also appended the following line to `/etc/profile.d/jre.sh`

export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true'

Some of my java apps are fine, but some (e.g. Jabref) look terrible. It looks like the subpixel rendering if totally off. Previously, with infinality, they looked excellent.

4OyU5uJt.png

As per the wiki, I tried a few different options, such as setting `-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings` to lcd, gasp and off. However, none of these helped. I also tried using java-7-openjdk, java-8-jre/jre and java-8-openjdk, but this didn't help either.

Finally, I tried installing jre{7,8}-openjdk-infinality, but they appear to require "infinality support in FreeType", which is obviously now missing. Can I fix this poor rendering in Jabref?

Last edited by Salkay (2017-03-28 02:00:32)

#2 2017-01-12 23:12:27

Salkay

Re: [BUG FILED] Correct sub-pixel rendering in java applications

I've done more troubleshooting, and it looks like there are problems with `jre8-openjdk-headless`.

If I install this package, then jabref looks terrible, regardless of whether I use java-7-openjdk, java-8-jre/jre or java-8-openjdk/jre. However, if I uninstall `jre8-openjdk-headless`, then jabref works fine with either of the two remaining java installs (java-7-openjdk or java-8-jre/jre). I'm not sure how having jre8-openjdk-headless installed could break the other java installations.

I tried to remove some of the files that jre8-openjdk-headless installs, in order to isolate the problem. However, launching jabref with either of the two remaining java installs (java-7-openjdk or java-8-jre/jre) totally fails now.

$ sudo rm -r /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/jre/lib
$ jabref
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Again, I'm not sure how a (partial) install of jre8-openjdk-headless could affect the other java installs.

#3 2017-01-18 23:56:28

Salkay

Re: [BUG FILED] Correct sub-pixel rendering in java applications

Board footer