You are not logged in.

#26 2016-04-08 21:59:13

Cube777
Website

Re: dotgit - A comprehensive solution to managing your dotfiles

Hi oliver, since you don't know much about git I would recommend you do the following:
  1. First do a "dotgit hard-restore" inside your repository to restore the file back into your home folder
  2. Delete the folder containing the repository
  3. Now instead of first creating the repo with dotgit do "git clone {repo_url}" (this will set up all the remotes for you)
  4. Go into the git repo and now run "dotgit init" inside of it
  5. Now set up the filelist as before and you will be good to go smile

Good luck, hope all goes well smile

EDIT: Posted before the post was done

Last edited by Cube777 (2016-04-08 22:05:44)

dotgit - A comprehensive solution to managing your dotfiles

#27 2016-04-09 14:06:53

oliver

Cube777 wrote:

Hi oliver, since you don't know much about git I would recommend you do the following:
  1. First do a "dotgit hard-restore" inside your repository to restore the file back into your home folder
  2. Delete the folder containing the repository
  3. Now instead of first creating the repo with dotgit do "git clone {repo_url}" (this will set up all the remotes for you)
  4. Go into the git repo and now run "dotgit init" inside of it
  5. Now set up the filelist as before and you will be good to go smile

Good luck, hope all goes well smile

EDIT: Posted before the post was done

Yes, that did it.  Thanks.  I just successfully pushed my test file to git.

#28 2016-04-09 15:17:48

Cube777
Website

Glad to hear smile Hope you enjoy using it

#29 2016-04-10 02:29:39

oliver

One last thing I'm not clear on is how categories work.  In your examples, you have '.foo:server' but how would a machine know it was a server in order to download/update foo?

#30 2016-04-10 08:28:15

Cube777
Website

Say you would like to restore the category "server" to a computer, instead of the usual "dotgit restore" you would run "dotgit restore server". This applies to all commands that take an extra argument (see help). Should you want to you can also supply a host name instead of a category to explicitly run operations on that host's files. When you run "dotgit {command}" without args it implicitly converts it to "dotgit {commands} $HOSTNAME"

#31 2016-04-10 13:25:22

oliver

Thanks again... can't believe I missed that in the help.  I think I've got it now :-)

#32 2016-05-11 21:19:04

Cube777
Website

New update released that makes changes in the filelist smoother when things happen like joining two versions of a file into one or when splitting a file into more versions. The comment char has also changed to # to follow convention (dotgit will automatically update your filelist)

#33 2016-05-31 16:19:34

Cube777
Website

Greetings fellow archers I bring good tidings.

I recently acquired the need for encryption support from dotgit, and about 900+ lines of changes later I think I got it.

The encryption is CAST5 through GPG and boasts all the usual features of dotgit.

Since there were a lot of big (underlying) changes it would be great if some of you could help me test it. From my tests everything seems to be okay, but I can't possibly think of all the possible ways to break dotgit. The changes are not yet available on the main package but I created a development package for testing. It can be found here. This version is backwards-compatible with earlier versions of dotgit if you were wondering.

If you have a feature request/bug please inform me I'd gladly help

A thousand thanks for those helping

Last edited by Cube777 (2016-06-04 23:58:07)

#34 2016-08-03 20:34:33

artex

Hey Cube777,
I've been using dotgit this summer to set up my first dotfiles repo!  I finally got out of school and have time to rice my dots.   Question and/or feature request:  Is there a way to add a file directory to the filelist?  I have a theme I have been working on that has 100+ files in the directory and don't want to type out each one.  Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out..

something like:

.themes/foo/

in which  foo is the folder I want added to my dotfiles. 

Thanks.

#35 2016-08-05 19:08:29

Cube777
Website

Hey artex,

Its great to hear from a user - I too have been very busy with school, which is the reason the next update has been delayed. Currently dotgit does not support directories (yet). I have thought about implementing it but since I had no use for it so far I have not yet done it. It shouldn't be to hard, I'll try and do it this weekend. The new update will then also fully support encryption - I'll let you know of new developments.

#36 2016-08-08 02:11:35

alphaniner

I have a basic understanding of git but have never used it to manage dotfiles or such. Are there some best practices or general guidelines [specifically WRT dotfile management] I should read up on before getting started with dotgit?

Thanks.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#37 2016-08-08 08:26:05

Cube777
Website

Hi alphaliner - since dotfiles are just plain text files we basically just copy over the dotfiles into your dotgit repo and then symlink them back into your home folder, nothing else really smile Git does the versioning magic and dotgit keeps everything nice-n-tidy and works with git for you. Just set up your filelist, there shouldn't be much else to it (except pushing it to a remote which makes it truly useful as to share it with other hosts sporting dotgit). One thing to note though, if you can share a dotfile between two hosts, try to. It really does make it easy to share setups (aka try and make two very similar bashrc into one). This is not at all necessary for dotgit since you can easily separate dotfiles between hosts, but it does make your own experience easier.

As for the directory update, I unfortunately did not get to it this weekend but I will probably have it done somewhere this week, I will let you know.

Thank you for all the interest in dotgit!

#38 2016-08-20 16:42:00

Cube777
Website

Hello Archers,

I apologize for the delay in the directory update, time has proven scarce the past few weeks. The priority currently is to securely implement encryption and then I'll focus on the directory support. From what I can tell the encryption implementation is mostly done but before I consider it finished there are a few points I would like to get feedback on:

- Currently the passphrase used for encryption is stored inside the repo in hash format. To prevent bruteforce attacks the hash stored is the passphrase hashed 1500 times through sha256. Can this be considered secure? At this point I don't see the need for a salt, but it can be added if you guys think it necessary.
- The passphrase is briefly passed as an argument one or two times (shouldn't occur more than one time in a run). As I understand there is a possibility of other users reading this then in plaintext if they happen to monitor running processes. Should this be considered as a security threat?

Before moving on to the directory update I would really appreciate your opinions on the aforementioned points.

@artex: Thank you for your kind words on reddit and here on the forum, it really is great to see someone using and appreciating dotgit smile And by the way you did a great job with your desktop wink

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Cube777

#39 2016-08-31 15:34:12

Felixoid

Hi!
Great tool, thx.
Also waiting for a directory support

Last edited by Felixoid (2016-08-31 15:41:34)

#40 2016-09-04 16:19:55

Cube777
Website

Thanks Felixoid for the feedback I appreciate it smile Since no one commented on the previous post of the implemented encryption I'm assuming it should work ok (everyone still interested in giving it a spin - it's available as the development version of dotgit, dotgit-git in the AUR).

As for the directory support - I'm currently swamped with exams, I'll try my best to work on it but currently I can't give you a date on when it will be done, sorry. Will try and get it done asap.

Thanks for everyone who has given positive and helpful feedback

#41 2016-09-09 07:55:53

Cube777
Website

EDIT: Uploaded this too soon there is currently critical bugs, working on it

I have some good news - directory support has been added smile I believe it to be working but I did not have a lot of time to test it (Currently 1300 lines of bash script so there is definitely ample opportunity for bugs). Its available along with the encryption in the development package of dotgit (here). Be sure to read the help message for instructions. Thank you for waiting for the support - hope it serves you well

Regards,
Cube777

Last edited by Cube777 (2016-09-09 19:51:19)

#42 2016-09-09 19:52:09

Cube777
Website

Ok hopefully most of the bugs has been worked out - I'm eager to hear your responses, hope all goes well

#43 2016-09-24 07:50:21

Cube777
Website

Hello fellow Archers,

Since there were no filed bug-reports I went ahead and created a new release of dotgit. The directory support as well as the encryption is now available in the main dotgit package. Looking forward to feedback!

Regards,
Cube777

#44 2016-10-03 12:39:05

Felixoid

Cube777 wrote:

Hello fellow Archers,

Since there were no filed bug-reports I went ahead and created a new release of dotgit. The directory support as well as the encryption is now available in the main dotgit package. Looking forward to feedback!

Regards,
Cube777

Hi!
Thank you for update.
But why do you use symlinks in folder instead symlink folder to dotfile?
I mean, why

ls ~/.vim -la
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  4 felixoid users   69 Oct  3 15:09 .
drwx------ 87 felixoid users 8192 Oct  3 15:09 ..
drwxr-x---  2 felixoid users   22 Oct  3 15:09 autoload
lrwxrwxrwx  1 felixoid users   56 Oct  3 15:09 .netrwhist -> /home/felixoid/.dotfiles/dotfiles/common/.vim/.netrwhist
drwxr-xr-x  5 felixoid users   69 Oct  3 15:05 plugged
lrwxrwxrwx  1 felixoid users   52 Oct  3 15:09 plugrc -> /home/felixoid/.dotfiles/dotfiles/common/.vim/plugrc

instead

ls ~/.vim -la                                           
lrwxrwxrwx 1 felixoid users 45 Oct  3 15:13 .vim -> /home/felixoid/.dotfiles/dotfiles/common/.vim

My dir_filelist:

cat dir_filelist 
.vim

#45 2016-10-04 16:26:10

Cube777
Website

Hi Felixoid,

I too at first considered implementing the directory support as you proposed but for the following reason (I believe there were more I just can't recall them at this moment) I decided against it. It was far easier implementing it as it is currently, should you look at the code the initiation code block is responsible for setting up an array that contains the filelists. This made it so much easier as I could just update the filelist at the start instead of updating the symlinking code (I at first tried to update this block of code but it turned out to be a nightmare). This allowed me also to re-use basically all of the pre-written code, something that probably would not have been possible with above mentioned implementation.

I hope that the current implementation isn't giving you problems? (Btw thanks for your debian packaging contribution, I am not familiar with debian packaging at all so if you wish for me to upload the binaries somewhere please do tell)

#46 2016-10-06 12:00:50

Felixoid

Well, it's affected my attempts to manage vim profile with https://github.com/junegunn/vim-plug
When I try to update plugins with :PlugInstall it complains to bad .git/ contents. I guess that symlink to directory will solve this issue.
Oh, yes. My .gitignore:

**/.git
dmz
tmp
mid

Last edited by Felixoid (2016-10-06 13:04:09)

#47 2016-10-11 16:31:26

Cube777
Website

Hi Felixoid, I'm sorry that I'm only replying now but I'm currently starting with my second (and final) round of exams and as such I'm quite busy. I use the same vim plugin manager and will check it out on my side as well, but changing the implementation (if necessary) will sadly have to wait until I'm finished with my exams (mid November).

As for your specific situation I'm pretty sure symlinking the directories directly won't help as vim-plug stores the modules themselves as git directories. As far as I know you can't store a git repo inside another one without something called submodules. Also, storing the vim profile itself probably won't gain you much because if you can clone the dotgit repo you can also install and update the plugins with vim-plug. The only time I can think were this can help is if there is something built by the modules as is the case with the YouCompleteMe plugin. This also probably won't help you because that also involves submodules and compilation for specific versions of clang which will also probably be problematic. What you can try though is to manage only the specific folders inside the vim profile that you need in your dotgit repo (make sure these are not plugins as these are also git repos as mentioned before).

#48 2016-10-24 19:46:01

Felixoid

Hi!

I'm sorry too for long silence.
In my situation **/.git inside .gitignore allows for me normally to use vim-plug and dotgit both. But only if symlink to directory (.vim -> .dotfiles/dotfiles/common/.vim) used.
https://gitlab.com/felixoid/dotfiles/tree/master
UPD:
But you are right, on another host I should launch :PlugClean + :PlugInstall

Last edited by Felixoid (2016-10-24 20:44:41)

#49 2016-10-27 07:57:52

Cube777
Website

Hey,

The .git in .gitignore is a interesting concept thanks I haven't thought about it. It is interesting as to why the symlinking doesn't work- I'll toy with it as it does seem problematic. Did your errors (bad .git) occur after a restore? Or did it stop working as soon as you included .vim in your dotgit repo?

#50 2017-01-11 19:31:10

Cube777
Website

Hey guys,

Good news - dotgit is officially just over a year old and with it comes a new release. I've added an 'unsafe' mode - this mode disables all safety checks (including password checks) and by extension greatly improves performance on low-powered devices (I started noticing this when I started using dotgit on my phone smile ). This does have the drawback of being more prone to error (like accidentally running it in your home folder) since the safety checks are disabled. See the help message for more details. Hope you guys still enjoy using dotgit!

Board footer