You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-07 21:55:46

Alec76

[solved] reboot=system slow; power off-power on=system normal

Upon rebooting, my system runs slowly, I experience seemingly random crashes, I can't get more than 60% usage out of my CPU cores, programs are slow to load, even entering my password at login shows noticeable lag.

However, if I power the system off and turn it back on everything runs normally.

Here is the journal output from the respective boots:

Working boot:
http://pastebin.com/M5X7fnQw

Laggy reboot:
http://pastebin.com/TbfnWnEL

This has been ongoing for about a month or two. I didn't notice it right away (because I hadn't been doing cpu intensive work and/or was in denial), so I'm unable to pinpoint when exactly it started, which is compounding the mystery for me.
----

I've tested the relative CPU speeds via Blender rendering. Using identical settings, a normal render time for my test file is 3:12; after reboot it renders at 14:54.
Also odd, I've also notice that after reboot, TOP shows all processes using 0% of the CPU.

After poweroff/poweron, I can get 100% CPU usage, and all these problems are seemingly gone.

Here is what I have tried so far to no avail:
-Installing the LTS Kernel.
-clamscan -r multiple times.
-memtest86
-Turned off "fast boot" in my motherboard's Bios.

Lastly, I'm unable to reproduce this problem in my Windows 8.1 partition.

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to make this post more efficient or informative (it's my first); I realize I may have been a bit anecdotal.

Also, from a theoretical perspective, any further edification as to why a reboot would be different from "power on" would also be welcome (if it's appropriate here).

System Info:
Kernel: 4.8.13-1-ARCH
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Motherboard: MSI x99 sli plus

Last edited by Alec76 (2017-01-11 20:45:44)

#2 2017-01-10 17:53:39

teateawhy
Website

Re: [solved] reboot=system slow; power off-power on=system normal

You might want to remove the timestamps from the logs and then run diff on them since most parts are the same.

EDIT:
I'm unsure but look at this.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/190414

Last edited by teateawhy (2017-01-10 17:56:01)

#3 2017-01-10 23:11:53

Alec76

Thanks for your interest in this issue teateawhy. I was unaware that I could parse two logs like that, but of course it makes sense. I will investigate how to do it and hopefully return with some results, and I'll also look into the link you've sent.

But in the meantime, I feel it's worth reporting that I just now finished a reinstall and am surprised and dismayed to see that same issue described above persists.

A few details about the reinstallation: I did preserve my previous home partition, so it's not completely vanilla. In addition to the base packages, I only installed openbox and blender to run the test I described above.

Finally and suspiciously, when I was in the installation environment, the following error kept popping up seemingly at random:

INFO: task kworker/3:1:12B blocked for more than 120 seconds.
Not Tainted 4.8.13-ARCH#1

Googling suggested this error was related to a failing disk. I tested the hard drive I install on with S.M.A.R.T and it passed.

#4 2017-01-11 20:46:55

Alec76

A simple BIOs update wound up being the solution.

Definitely did my troubleshooting out of order.

Board footer