You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-08 10:59:09

linduxed
Website

[SOLVED] Resume fails every time

This is a problem that has been going on ever since I installed Arch on my computer, but lately it has gotten significantly worse.

Up until a few weeks ago, when I suspended my computer, I could not be certain that it would resume properly. By "didn't resume properly" I mean that the computer turned on (you could hear it start and the lighting on it came alive), but the main monitor went from suspended to "No signal"-text (my second monitor just stayed black). No input was recognized, one could only turn the computer off.

I write the above in past tense, because a month ago I could at least hope for the resume to be successful: sometimes it failed, most of the times it didn't. The past few weeks it's an absolute guarantee that it will fail to resume properly. I have no recollection of changing anything significant, apart from doing regular system updates.

An anomaly worth mentioning

There's also one situation that might be worth mentioning, if only because it's related and has happened only once:

Two weeks ago I had an incident where I resumed, previously situation happened with the main monitor getting "No signal" as usual, but the second monitor actually rendered the desktop correctly, although the following caveats:

• It showed the desktop, when there should have been a screensaver there.

• While I could get access to the desktop on the second monitor (by blindly typing in my screensaver unlocking password), everything was painfully slow. I could turn on the main monitor with xrandr, but eventually (less than five minutes) everything slowed down to a crawl and then totally froze.

As said, the above mentioned scenario has only happened once, every other time I've simply gotten the "No signal"-text on the main monitor (which has forced me to turn off the computer).

Last edited by linduxed (2017-02-23 14:45:56)

#2 2017-01-08 16:48:06

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Resume fails every time

No clue how to help, but you might provide more information.  Things that are obvious to you because you are sitting in front of your machine are things about which we don;t have a clue.

For instance, I presume this is a desktop or tower, not a laptop.
What make and model?  If custom, what motherboard?
What processor?
What video subsystem(s)? NVidia? AMD? Intel?
DVI? HDMI? DisplayPort? Analog?
What desktop environment?  Gnome? KDE? i3?
Dual boot?
Is this a suspend (to RAM) or sleep (to disk) operation?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-01-10 21:42:37

linduxed
Website

Sorry for omitting important information, I should have thought about the things you mentioned.

• It's a custom tower.

• Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO ATX

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

• GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970

• Monitor connections: DisplayPort to the main monitor, HDMI to the secondary monitor.

• DE: i3

• Dual boot: Yes, Windows 7.

• I only suspend to RAM.

I should also mention that the problem I'm experiencing has never occurred under after suspending in Windows.

#4 2017-01-10 21:48:30

loqs

Is there anything in the the journal from the failed resume attempts?
edit:
grammar

Last edited by loqs (2017-01-10 21:48:58)

#5 2017-01-11 22:14:05

linduxed
Website

loqs wrote:

Is there anything in the the journal from the failed resume attempts?

As far as I can see, no. Here are the last ten lines of journalctl, from the last boot.

Note that for some reason, there are messages about the system suspending, but there are no messages at 22:50 (roughly when I tried to resume) from it failing to resume. It's as if it doesn't even manage to get to the point where things can start getting logged to the journal again.

#6 2017-01-12 05:39:30

ugjka
Website

Things to try:

• Remove "autodetect" from mkinitcpio.conf HOOKS="" and rebuild initramfs

• Disable pmasync before suspend sudo bash -c "echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async"

• Remove anything from MODULES="" in mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild initramfs

• Replace udev, usr and resume hooks with single systemd hook and rebuild initramfs

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#7 2017-01-12 12:05:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

This is a known issue on part of the Nvidia driver with GTX 9xx series cards: http://www.nvidia.de/download/driverRes … /113337/de (on the "Weitere Infos" there's a small text mentioning this fact, strangely this same text is absent from the other release notes hence why I add the german one)

Furthermore there's this thread on the Nvidia boards, which mentions that this seems to have been fixed and will be available in the next driver release: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … dia-370-/8

Last edited by V1del (2017-01-12 12:07:46)

#8 2017-01-12 13:39:11

linduxed
Website

V1del wrote:

Furthermore there's this thread on the Nvidia boards, which mentions that this seems to have been fixed and will be available in the next driver release: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi … dia-370-/8

That could very well be it! I guess I'll wait until the next driver release then, whenever that'll happen.

#9 2017-02-23 14:45:40

linduxed
Website

The latest nVidia driver did indeed fix the issue.

Board footer