You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-09 18:34:03

lefteyexl

[SOLVED] Applet plasma-pa shows no device on logout/relogin

Hi all,

My computer is currently running Arch (with OpenRC, not systemd) and KDE Plasma 5.

I noticed an issue with applet plasma-pa to control the volume of my sound card. It generally works perfectly, except if I logout and log back into KDE. The speaker icon shows a red minus sign. Clicking on it, I see no device (neither input nor output). As a consequence, I am unable to control the volume using the KDE applet.

In a terminal, running alsamixer definitely shows that pulseaudio is running OK. Moreover, any application using pulse as output can play sounds without any issues (VLC, SMPlayer, qmmp...). Finally, utility pavucontrol shows the applications using PulseAudio.

To sum up, all of my applications but plasma-pa work fine after logging out and logging back in.

Killing pulseaudio and restarting it do not solve the issue.

The only workaround I have found until now is to restart the computer completely. Only then plasma-pa runs OK and shows the input/output and running applications.

Please, has anyone noticed that issue with plasma-pa after logout/relogin? If so, what should be done to have plasma-pa running properly?

All the best!

Chris

Last edited by lefteyexl (2017-01-12 15:20:18)

Config: Asus A55E laptop - Core i7 - 6GB RAM

#2 2017-01-11 21:57:52

lefteyexl

Re: [SOLVED] Applet plasma-pa shows no device on logout/relogin

Up for this post. Anyone facing the same situation?
Thanks.

#3 2017-01-12 15:18:59

lefteyexl

Re: [SOLVED] Applet plasma-pa shows no device on logout/relogin

Hi,
Okay, I have found a way to get plasma-pa showing the input/output streams and running applications even after logging out and logging back in.

KDE runs the following script each time its session starts:

killall pulseaudio
pulseaudio --start

Just save it in a file called pulse.sh and place it in the autostart applications section in Startup / Shutdown. With this script, plasma-pa shows the input/output and running applications as expected.

Chris

Board footer