You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-12 04:55:49

IdleGandalf

Acer Switch Alpha 12 accelerometer and other sensors not working

I got me one of the recently released convertibles, it comes with a Stylus pen and has accelerometer and light sensor build-in. It works mostly ootb pretty well, touchscreen and all other parts are working, the only thing I can't seem to get working completely is the build-in accelerometer and light sensor as well as the pen is only half functional (I use libinput to include it in X, before that it isn't working at all). The accelerometer is showing as /dev/input/eventX, but I can't read from it even with correct permissions set (Operation not permitted). I tried to use HDAPS to read the sensor but i cound't get it to read anything, I might have done something wrong there. What's even the point in trying to use it, is there any magic in hdapsd that can read the sensor that other programs can't do? Because I don't need any shock prevention for a ssd.

I read a lot about the wacom drivers, but that doesn't seem to be a wacom product included here, at least as far as I know.

The touch controller seems to be a ELAN5515, I could get X to recognize the pen after I added

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "libinput tablet catchall"
	MatchIsTablet "on"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver "libinput"
EndSection

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, but there are still some things not working, like the eraser end and the second button on the pen has no effect even if pressing it shows up in evtest.

I couldn't find the light sensors that should be onboard, maybe I'm missing something in that direction, haven't searched for it very intensively.

Ah and I'm using GNOME.

Here is a full hwinfo out: https://hastebin.com/uyiqedadut

If you need any more information just ask.

Last edited by IdleGandalf (2017-01-12 05:29:38)

#2 2017-01-12 12:22:19

seth

Re: Acer Switch Alpha 12 accelerometer and other sensors not working

> Ah and I'm using GNOME
On wayland? (consult "loginctl session-status" output)
In case, your X11 configuration is pretty pointless. Try gnome on xorg for the beginning.

#3 2017-01-12 17:52:30

IdleGandalf

seth wrote:

> Ah and I'm using GNOME
On wayland? (consult "loginctl session-status" output)
In case, your X11 configuration is pretty pointless. Try gnome on xorg for the beginning.

I should have noted that I'm on GNOME with xorg.

#4 2017-01-12 18:28:01

seth

Ok, just wanted to be sure (since gnome changed, half the problems stem from there ;-)
Did you try "sudo evtest" on the accelerometer?
If evtest supports your pen, why not try the evdev X11 driver?

The accelerometer could ideally be used as "joystick" (and perhaps even shows up as such? joydev kernel module loaded? checked "lspci -v" whether it's detected and as what?) - I agree that hdapsd won't get you anything on an ssd.

#5 2017-01-12 19:40:31

IdleGandalf

seth wrote:

Ok, just wanted to be sure (since gnome changed, half the problems stem from there ;-)
Did you try "sudo evtest" on the accelerometer?
If evtest supports your pen, why not try the evdev X11 driver?

The accelerometer could ideally be used as "joystick" (and perhaps even shows up as such? joydev kernel module loaded? checked "lspci -v" whether it's detected and as what?) - I agree that hdapsd won't get you anything on an ssd.

It does indeed show up as joystick, but can't access it as well, same thing as with the input/event node. evtest gives the same error as well. Joydev is loaded.

I found the accelerometer as /sys/devices/virtual/input/input13, it's an Acer BMA150. It seems to be connected via i2c. But I can't access /dev/input/event13 or /dev/input/js0.

How would I use the evdev driver for the pen, just substitute something (the driver?) in my pen snippet from above? Haven't got a chance to use evdev yet. I got the pen up with evdev, but its the same thing as with libinput. The interesting thing with is that only the second button doesn't work, I can change the mapping via xinput on that button as much as I want, it just doesn't do anything (except being listed in evtest).

Last edited by IdleGandalf (2017-01-12 20:23:43)

Board footer