You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-12 22:28:24

asdplayer

ICH4 sound card outputs sound but input is silent

My laptop is ACER TM800, 82855PM chipset, Pentium M CPU, from 2004

I use it as 1) MIDI Synth and 2) signal processor for one guitar (sometimes)

I can output sound without any problem, but since about a year ago, input sound doesn't get acquired. I mean, i can connect all the software i want to use without getting errors (for example jackd in duplex mode and rackarrack to process guitar, or Audacity using alsa), but the recorded sound is just "silence", as if I had not connected any source to the computer.

If I unmute and raise the volume of "Line In" in "playback" panel in alsamixer I can hear on the output what I put on the input (this is similar to "hardware monitoring" in proaudio language; this does not involve ADC, just the chip's analog mixer). Furthermore, I recall audio recording working in windows XP three months ago; so I suppose no hardware problems.

My capture source in alsamixer is already set to "Line In" (uncommon connector on laptops, but mine has it). This way it used to work.
Kernel is: 4.8.11-2-rt7-rt-bfq (built from AUR) (a bit out of date, but I have little time to compile).
The soundcard, reported in lspci -k:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 001f
        Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0
        Kernel modules: snd_intel8x0

Last edited by asdplayer (2017-01-14 12:23:26)

#2 2018-04-13 16:21:10

asdplayer

Re: ICH4 sound card outputs sound but input is silent

Good afternoon, today I had the sane idea to try the standard kernel instead of mine. The last time I did this was around 4.12 I think.
Well, now it works!

$ uname -r
4.15.15-1.0-ARCH

But:
- Soon after I posted here, the Arch team has moved away from i686 architecture, so this thread was deemed to die unknown.
- I do not play music very often now
- Soon I will have got an audio card for my new computer
- The Arch32 hasn't done a good work keeping package consistency (things like broken qt deps... ugly), and I did ugly things too, partly because of my inexperience. Sum these up, and my instance of Arch is unusable. I'll have to reinstall everything to get anywhere further.
- The hardware is really outdated, and who writes audio software doesn't generally care if it works on machines older than his own (unless he's got an overly powerful one and he is aware). So, I've lost! Obsolescence got me at last.
- At least now I'm sure harware is still good... For what it is. In the future I may post the difference of register statuses between working and non-working states and kernels.

All these words to say:
I have no interest to dig any deeper (4.8 kernel is old!), and if I will ever need help again (the bug represents itself in the next kernel+ALSA releases AND I will actually need the hardware to work again), I will surely bother the archlinux32 forum users, where now I clearly belong. Expecially now that I found this page, I may actually be able to gather some curious bug hunters. In this case I would surely post here some link about the continuation of the story.
Before this will happen, I will probably need a fresh install, manage to compile a linux-rt or linux-rt-bfq kernel (this is time consuming, and not easy on x86 now) and throw away time on eventually documenting on paper what I do.
So, goodbye! you will hear of me again cause, as it turns out, I'm really unlucky about soundcards. Even if I could actually write code, I would be.

Board footer