You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-11 23:41:06

starfry

[SOLVED] Can I prepend commit history to AUR Git repo (git push -f)?

I've just been updating some AUR packages and I've just noticed the my repos on AUR lack their commit history.

I know why --- I migrated using aur2aur4 script and that just created a new repo on the AUR server with an initial commit containing the package at the point of import. I didn't realise at the time!

However, I have always maintained my packages in Git. For any package, I have a repo (let's call it AUR3) that contains the commit history up to the migration and, now, another repo (AUR4) with history from the migration.

I have locally rebased AUR4 onto AUR3 and have a repo with a single commit history.

I'd like to push this to AUR (ie. a force push). However I believe, having searched the forum and wiki, that this isn't allowed. I have not tried, I thought I'd ask first.

Can I do this (or is there another way to solve this problem) ?

Last edited by starfry (2017-01-12 23:41:58)

#2 2017-01-12 04:15:34

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Can I prepend commit history to AUR Git repo (git push -f)?

You can't do it unless you are a TU. wink
Maybe a plain merge would get you what you want though -- it isn't a forced push, and with a bit of looking anyone can see your history.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#3 2017-01-12 23:40:48

starfry

Re: [SOLVED] Can I prepend commit history to AUR Git repo (git push -f)?

I decided in the end to keep the old history locally in a separate branch and just use the new master going forward. I would have liked a single master branch with a full history but never mind.

Board footer