You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-13 23:39:47

janoliver

Screen signal lost shortly after kernel loaded.

Installing updates on my home server broke it, something with LVM doesn't work anymore. So I did the usual thing: Prepare a USB installation device and boot it, in order to fix stuff. Sadly, this doesn't work for reasons unknown to me.

What I have:
Intel D2500HN Motherboard, with literally no hardware except for a keyboard. There is on-board intel graphics and a single VGA port, which is the only display port.

What I observe:
Booting the installation medium gets me the grub or UEFI boot screen. If I select one of the options, the kernel is loaded, the drivers are loaded and when the screen is about to switch to a higher resolution, the signal to the screen is lost. I can type 'poweroff' blindly and it powers off - so the shell works, but the screen doesn't.

What I tried:
I tried

• UEFI/Grub

• 32 bit / 64 bit

• i915.modeset=0, nomodeset,and combinations of them

• video=VGA-1

• vga=771

• fbcon=map:1 / 0

• acpi=off

• various settings in the bios (which I updated to the latest firmware)

• older arch ISOs (one from 2015 and 2014 each)

Honestly, I don't know anymore how I installed the system initially. I can't remember having that issue, but now it appeared without any change in hardware.

Do you have any suggestions what else I could try?

/e: I have worked around the issue by building a custom arch ISO image with SSH enabled, so that I could remote control the arch live instance. The issue is still unresolved, though.

Last edited by janoliver (2017-01-14 11:41:45)

Board footer