You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-14 02:21:11

ShaneRoach

[Solved] Network issues on new install

Odd that the USB ISO disk worked, but the install does not.

Ping  8.8.8.8
Connect:  network is  unreachable

Pinging the local host works fine.

Lspci -v  shows ethernet controller QUALCOMM Atheros killer  which is indeed my MSI ethernet device.
Kernel  Driver in use: alx
Kernel modules: alx

Dmesg | grep alx  shows Qualcomm Atheros and ALX renamed from eth0,  but nothing about the connection being up .

I don't have an easy way to cut and paste these error messages because I can't install any graphical interface without the Internet. If it's really really important, perhaps I can  redirect output to a file.  But it just seems the basic network configuration didn't happen for some reason. I do not see a list of packages in the network configuration  Wiki  article, but saw through Google search that adding certain packages post install might work. Is there any way to know what those packages would be?  Presumably I could use the install USB, mount the hard drive file system like I did when installing, and install those packages.

Thanks.

Last edited by ShaneRoach (2017-01-14 21:40:35)

#2 2017-01-14 02:27:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] Network issues on new install

ShaneRoach wrote:

Odd that the USB ISO disk worked, but the install does not.

Not odd at all.

ShaneRoach wrote:

But it just seems the basic network configuration didn't happen for some reason.

Did you configure your network?  If not, it wouldn't happen automatically.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … figuration

If you have wired ethernet, you should be able to just start dhcpcd service.  You'll also want to enable it so it starts automatically at boot.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2017-01-14 02:38:38

ShaneRoach

It is odd because one would think pacstrap would set up something at least as robust as the installation ISO.

Yes, I set up hostnames per the installation guide. I also scoured the network configuration wiki entry and posted the results of the troubleshooting it mentions. It would appear that it is properly detecting my ethernet card but not starting the service. As I said, in various articles I found in Google, I see various and sundry comments about installing certain packages, but I am not seeing anything definitive.

Best I can tell, it needs to be set up to actually start the services. Last time I installed arch this part was the least of my worries, but I reinstalled so I could have efi boot loader. For some reason, this time around, networking is borked.

P.S. Is rc.conf still a thing? I read online it is rather unique to Arch. I don't seem to have one, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited by ShaneRoach (2017-01-14 02:56:25)

#4 2017-01-14 03:10:14

ShaneRoach

systemctl enable dhcpcd

This is the command to automate starting internet connectivity to the best of my ability to ascertain. It certainly seems to work for me. I rebooted after, and internet is still enabled.

This command is not in the installation guide, network configuration guide, or in the entry in the Arch wiki for dhcpcd. It is apparently part of the systemd package.

Because I can not find it anywhere legitimately in Arch as it pertains to setting up an ethernet card, I am going to leave this question open just to be sure I am not doing something dangerous that I am too ignorant to know not to do.

#5 2017-01-14 03:16:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

If you followed the relevant sections of the wiki, you would have ended up here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dh … interfaces

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2017-01-14 03:43:24

ShaneRoach

Yeah, systemctl is nowhere on that page. That's the systemd article which I mentioned, so yes I ended up there eventually. I'm not seeing anything specific about how to do this correctly in here either. Do you think the MSI Qualcom Atheros Killer card is non compliant and needs that line commented out? Is that what you mean? Because I am not seeing a particularly clear path from where I was to this entry.

It seems very relevant to installation to me, especially since the last time I installed I did not have to mess with it as best I can recall. On the other hand, if I remember, last time I installed I used some instructions from outside the wiki and it may have been I just did this or something much like it as part of THOSE instructions.

Do you want me to just close this as solved?

Last edited by ShaneRoach (2017-01-14 03:45:42)

#7 2017-01-14 05:12:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You do it correctly by using a specific interface (from `ip a`), eg., systecmtl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service.

The wiki, especially the Installation Guide, has changed a lot over the last 12 months or so. The process is streamlined so people can pick and chose what is relevant for their setup. That does mean that there is no step-by-step guide as it would vary for every installation. You now do need to follow all of the breadcrumbs to get to the gingerbread house, though. This is undoubtedly a good thing™ as it means that you will invariably learn a lot more on the way through, even if it does take longer and involves more reading and less cut & pasting.

You can mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

#8 2017-01-14 21:40:12

ShaneRoach

Thanks. Have a good one. I suppose it is almost always eth0, but dmesg will tell you the correct one regardless?

#9 2017-01-14 21:42:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Sure. Or you can remove the variability by explicitly setting them: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … vice_names

#10 2017-01-14 21:42:30

Scimmia
Fellow

It's almost never eth0. Use ip to look it up like Jason already said.

Board footer