You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-14 18:51:36

ku_respawned

Black screen (no POST) after reboot/poweroff

Hello,

I have a strange problem, after some updates I get a black screen (no BIOS/UEFI/POST/whatever) after reboot/poweroff with systemctl. I had it with previous motherboard already, today I got a new one and still the same problem. With the previous one it booted Windows after a long wait, with this one I have to disconnect power and wait for 20-30 seconds before connecting the power and starting up the system. In this state, the monitor is on, but black and I can power off with the power button, but after starting again nothing happens again.

What could cause it?

#2 2017-01-15 07:05:58

Buddlespit

Re: Black screen (no POST) after reboot/poweroff

I fixed what you're describing by replacing my power supply.

#3 2017-01-15 13:29:11

ku_respawned

That's strange, the PSU I have should have Skylake support (and it also happened before I got Skylake, on a i5-3570). I really think, it's a software bug, since it only happens when I reboot from Linux and not from Windows. By the way, yesterday it booted to Windows after a reboot from Linux relatively quickly (in under 10 seconds), since I have reinstalled Windows and no more Windows Boot menu was shown. In BIOS and in motherboard's Windows software there's an option to reboot directly into an OS on some drive, I believe, that's what Arch is doing after some update.

Could the PSU be at fault for my other problems, though?

#4 2017-01-15 14:12:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Linux doesn't do anything that would result in a "direct boot back into specific OS (there are systemctl commands to do this, but those would be a knowingly and conscious choice if you used them)", this sounds like a BIOS/UEFI issue, because it doesn't reinitialize the hardware state properly, so updating that might be a possibility.  But in combination with your other problems, PSU really starts to seem likely, I've had similar symptoms in the past that were definitely attributable to a faulty PSU.

#5 2017-01-15 14:45:18

ku_respawned

Is there a way to test the PSU before I bring it back and wait for it to go through the whole warranty process? I don't really have a multimeter and sensors doesn't output the voltages. Maybe some windows software or BIOS? The current motherboard is Gigabyge GA-Z270-HD3P.

As for BIOS/UEFI, like I said, this happened with both motherboards. And the only thing I changed in systemd's configuration was adding "HandlePowerKey=hybrid-sleep" to logind.conf.

#6 2017-01-15 15:47:02

ku_respawned

BIOS shows a little over 5 and 12V, there's no 3.3V value.

Yesterday I ran AIDA64 stress test with memory, CPU, FPU and GPU for 13 hours without anything to notice, today I restarted the test with addinational disk stress, very shortly after that Explorer has crashed and restarted. Of course, I can't know if it has restarted during the nightly test.

#7 2017-01-15 23:42:51

ku_respawned

Could this issue also be caused by a graphics card (~ driver)? I got myself a ASUS Strix 1050 Ti OC shortly before I noticed it. Also, after reboot and poweroff I get a black screen (instantly, instead of kernel messages, and after restarting the PC, instead of UEFI splashscreen) and after issuing hibernate I get some error messages displayed and after restarting the PC I see the UEFI splashscreen. And it's always the same and not happening when rebooting from Windows.

As for the other issues, as I explained in the other thread, they haven't reappeared so far after switching to linux-lts and the Memtest issue is a known problem not specific to myself.

BTW, I looked again and the BIOS shows exactly 5.07V and 12.024V. Is this tolerable?

#8 2017-01-16 01:21:02

Buddlespit

The way I tested/troubleshot the psu was to start disconnecting nonessential peripherals from the psu. I started out with the dvd-drive. That worked for about a week. Then I took out my windows drive.... I was good for about a month. Then I replaced the psu and reconnected everything and all was good.
The original psu was rated to 750 watts and I was peaking at 575 watts. It was a crap shoot as to whether the system would boot or not. Most of the time, it was a reboot from Arch that caused the no-post.

#9 2017-03-13 17:58:41

ku_respawned

It's not the PSU, the monitor gradually turning off backlights, only Windows turns them on. And I just yesterday found out that if I turn off the monitor and then on again, the picture reappears. the question is, what is turning it off and will it change when my hdmi2vga converter arrives? It has a long journey from Hong Kong ahead of it.

P.S. The "blackout" also happens when X is killed or has crashed-

Last edited by ku_respawned (2017-03-13 18:28:32)

#10 2017-03-14 12:00:23

Buddlespit

ku_respawned wrote:

It's not the PSU, the monitor gradually turning off backlights, only Windows turns them on. And I just yesterday found out that if I turn off the monitor and then on again, the picture reappears. the question is, what is turning it off and will it change when my hdmi2vga converter arrives? It has a long journey from Hong Kong ahead of it.

P.S. The "blackout" also happens when X is killed or has crashed-

Since this doesn't match your previous complaint, can we assume that this is a different problem?

#11 2017-03-14 12:39:15

ku_respawned

This is the same problem, why shouldn't it match? I only discovered a solution for the blackout (turning the monitor off/on again) and same behaviour with killing X. I start X manually from the console.

I'd still like to fix that, it happens only in Linux when going to reboot/shut down/X is killed. The graphics card is slowly turning off the monitor's backlights, which I couldn't describe better before. HDMI is the only possible connection ATM, the HDMI2VGA converter will be "traveling" for a long time and I'm afraid that after I connect it, it will black out the converter's picture and I won't be able to restart it on the monitor.

Graphichs card is ASUS Strix GTX 1050 Ti OC (nvidia-lts driver ATM, same with normal nvidia driver).
Monitor is LG 24MP47.

P.S. Maybe it has to do something with this?

[    8.475870] NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
[    8.475871] NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
[    8.475872] NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
[    8.475872] NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
[    8.475872] NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

I'm not sure how to fix that and I'd like the console to stay in HD or FullHD resolution and not 80/something symbols of text.

#12 2017-03-14 15:14:52

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ramebuffer
But this is a runtime issue (which might indeed lead to a "black" VT when switching or even just shuttong down X11) and has nothing to do with missing POSTs on boot.

#13 2017-03-14 15:34:22

ku_respawned

Oh, right, you already gave me the link in the "System hanging..." topic.

I changed it both on my SSD and on my HDD clone when you gave me that link before, but still am getting the message. Do I have to reinstall grub first, for it to work?

Missing POST is due to monitor's backlights turning off, like I said, only Windows (well, I have the SSD (Windows bootloader) as the default booting device, to start Linux I have to choose the old HDD, which is hard to do without seeing) turns them on again without touching the psysical ON/OFF button.

#14 2017-03-14 20:47:16

seth

you'll have to run grub-mkconfig in order to apply changes you made to /etc/default/grub, yes.
but afaiu you cannot drop the framebuffer when using uefi.

You should figure whether the "backlight" (really?) issue is in some nvram of the monitor or the system (attach the monitor to some other "dumb" device and see whether it has a different backlight condition there than on your box (ie. works on you BD-Player but still off on the PC)
If it's in the PC, it will be in UEFI - maybe there's even a setting, but at least you can google up the issue (passing your uefi vendor/version and the backlight condition into google)

#15 2017-03-19 14:52:26

ku_respawned

After updating GRUB, I still am getting the message, so maybe you're right about UEFI.

I have no "dumb" HDMI devices, only the PC and a Windows convertible. In a couple of weeks I should get a dock for my Note4 and could try that. Do you suggest to disconnect the HDMI cable during a "blackout" and to connect it to another source to see if the backlight would go on again, and then to connect it back to see if it will go off again?

#16 2017-03-19 15:43:25

seth

Do you suggest to ...

Yes, to figure whether the state is in the TV or in the CRTC.

#17 2017-04-02 16:36:26

ku_respawned

Haven't tried what you suggested, a HDMI-VGA converter solved the problem

Last edited by ku_respawned (2017-04-02 16:37:19)

Board footer