You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-17 01:05:39

Kardell

Any serious disadvantages of VGA over HDMI/DisplayPort - office use?

Hi All,
   I hope you are well.

I can see here and there that people discourage using VGA output saying something about quality.
I understand that this is analog signal comparing to digital HDMI/Display Port.
I have 2x 27" HP Elite monitors one on DP and second on VGA.
Looking closely I cannot see the difference. Of course I haven't compared any motion picture but picture quality does not look different or worse on VGA output.

What are your thoughts about this?

Thank you

Best regards,

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Edmund Burke

#2 2017-01-17 03:05:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Any serious disadvantages of VGA over HDMI/DisplayPort - office use?

Not sure how this is a laptop issue. Nor how it isn't bikeshed, come to think of it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2017-01-17 04:05:11

ewaller
Administrator

If you cannot see the difference, great.  Use VGA/XGA/SVGA/UXA.  The problems traditionally are shadows caused by reflections, limited cable length, clock phase and clock jitter problems causing 'glitter' or 'herringbone' when there are closely spaced dark to light transitions.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2017-01-17 19:07:46

Kardell

ewaller wrote:

If you cannot see the difference, great.  Use VGA/XGA/SVGA/UXA.  The problems traditionally are shadows caused by reflections, limited cable length, clock phase and clock jitter problems causing 'glitter' or 'herringbone' when there are closely spaced dark to light transitions.

Thank you

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Edmund Burke

Board footer