You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-27 19:21:34

Hugao
Website

[CLOSED] Awesome keybindings only work on a focused terminal

Hello guys,
I have the following keybindings on AwesomeWM but they only work if a have a terminal with focus. I already tried with the key code I got from xmodmap -pk

awful.key({}, "XF86TouchpadToggle", function () awful.util.spawn("toggleinput --name ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86AudioLowerVolume", function () awful.util.spawn("ponymix decrease 1") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86AudioRaiseVolume", function () awful.util.spawn("ponymix increase 1") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86AudioMute", function () awful.util.spawn("ponymix toggle") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86MonBrightnessDown", function () awful.util.spawn("xbacklight -dec 5%") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86MonBrightnessUp", function () awful.util.spawn("xbacklight -inc 5%") end),
awful.key({}, "XF86Calculator", function () awful.util.spawn_with_shell("bc") end),

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Hugao (2017-01-18 00:02:37)

#2 2016-12-27 19:56:16

seth

Re: [CLOSED] Awesome keybindings only work on a focused terminal

Does it have to be a terminal, or does any (focused) window do?
I'd say, awesome forgets to select the keys on the root window in case. Or do you maybe update the keymap after login? Does it work after restarting the awesome process?

#3 2016-12-28 01:02:36

monodromy

This doesn't directly answer your question, but even though I use Awesome as well, I instead use xbindkeys for the multimedia keys.

#4 2016-12-28 11:19:58

Hugao
Website

seth wrote:

Does it have to be a terminal, or does any (focused) window do?
I'd say, awesome forgets to select the keys on the root window in case. Or do you maybe update the keymap after login? Does it work after restarting the awesome process?

Yes it works on any focused window and keeps the same behaviour after restart awesome.
I have this before start awesome.

setxkbmap pt
toggleinput --name ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad
numlockx &
exec awesome
monodromy wrote:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but even though I use Awesome as well, I instead use xbindkeys for the multimedia keys.

Thanks for the tip,  I will try with Xbindkeys

#5 2017-01-09 15:13:40

quizzmaster

Maybe you put this part of your keybindings in the bindings for clients and not in the global table?

#6 2017-01-18 00:02:05

Hugao
Website

Hey sorry for the time, I end up using Xbindkeys and it's working like a charm.

Board footer